Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Just wanted to share something that I didn't know, and wasn't expecting to work. And maybe somebody else can explain why this works, and how which other OS X's this set up might continue to work with.

Skip the following in bold if you want to cut to the question
so I have an old classic game - Command & Conquer Generals. It was on the Mac App Store since around 2015. I never purchased it but understood that its been removed now? I was interested in buying it just recently and thats when they decided to take down from the store! but anyway I heard it was crashing.

So I went and bought the original Mac release version of the game (2003) which was for Power PC Macs.

I bought Snow Leopard and the game runs great with SL on my 2009 27 iMac, and my 2008 Black MacBook.

I expected I had to run the game in Snow Leopard for Rosetta. However, Snow Leopard was too old for me (without launchpad and spaces etc) so I installed a Lion partition on these Macs and to my surprise, the game is running when i'm booted in Lion.

I thought OS X Lion didn't have Rosetta to make Power PC Apps work. How does Lion work with Rosetta on a different partition / OS X install?

can this set up work with Mountain Lion or Mavericks? to be clear, my set up is just 2 partitions: OS X 10.6 and OS X 10.7. When booted in 10.7, I located the app/game in the folder on the 10.6 partition and just run the app and it plays fine in 10.7.

I tested this with High Sierra and it doesn't work so i'm sure it wont work with Sierra / El Capitan / Yosemite.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Well if you’re running Lion, it isn’t using Rosetta. Are you sure the game isn’t a PPC-Intel universal binary?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.