Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brookep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
This has probably been asked and is probably very simple but I have been searching online for a couple of weeks now. I have an older Imac that has Lion but cannot update to Mountain Lion, not capable. I found where I can use a program and make a partition and do it that way, however, I need to download a copy of Mountain Lion onto the computer that I want to be able to run it from. If I go from the app store it tells me program not compatible. If I try to copy it or zip it to a flash drive, it tells me too large. Help. I know this is probably an easy thing, but I would love an answer! Thank you! :D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm...

Either download it to a computer that's capable of running it or look for...less legal methods.

I caution you against installing it all though, as computers on the edge of Apple's recommendations usually don't run the higher OSes well, something that's not on the list would seem even worse.

brookep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Either download it to a computer that's capable of running it or look for...less legal methods.

I caution you against installing it all though, as computers on the edge of Apple's recommendations usually don't run the higher OSes well, something that's not on the list would seem even worse.

Thank you. The only reason I want it on the computer is so I can use Imessage. If there is another way to get that on Lion I am all ears.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Mountain Lion is a slow, buggy mess. You'd have better luck skipping it and going to Mavericks or Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.