Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Why are you saying this? Someone could say that 2024 Messi is no longer a super dribbler, but besides his age, he is a world-class game-creator.

In the other hand, Maradona is the GOAT, but Messi and Pele are close to him. You are clearly exaggerating. Are you anti-Messi?
Greetings from Buenos Aires.
He was always a sand dancer to me who gets too much love from those who don't know better. That's not about being anti-Messi so much as just knowing there are more effective players.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
As painful as Ronaldo and Benzema in Saudi Arabia. I hope MLS will invest in young american players. It could be an amazing league.
For all Messi's negatives, the one positive is that he was unwilling to take the gold coin from the Saudis knowing how they treat half their population. Mrs Messi wasn't so daft to go over there so kudos to Messi for listening.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Luka Modric played at 37 as a starting player at Real Madrid in the same role that Messi is currently playing: Game-creator. A position doesn't require speed but requires game vision, passing, precision, shooting, anticipation, mind speed, positioning, and a lot of other skills. Messi is 36, so he could play maybe 2 more years at a world-class game-creator level.
Modric plays in Spain where there are only three decent teams and he plays for one of them. So playing four times a season in your domestic league doesn't make you great. Modric couldn't hack it in the EPL so was quickly punted by Spurs. Messi has only played in Spain and France, where there's only one big team. Neither compares to Diego who took relegation fodder like Napoli and made them winners of the Italian league against great teams like Milan, Inter and Juventus.

• Haha
Reactions: Astrohunter

Belisama

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Luka Modric played at 37 as a starting player at Real Madrid in the same role that Messi is currently playing
The important words here are "at Real Madrid".
Messi is at Inter Miami. I'm not saying he could not be a good player elsewhere. But in Miami, his role is to sell MLS games and Apple TV+ subscription like Tide Pods. He cannot be a world-class game-creator in Florida. Don't forget his tax fraud issues. He's in Florida to make money a few more years, and his tax return will never be made public !

Reactions: decypher44

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
US people don't know much about soccer.
For real soccer lovers, Messi is undoubtedly one of the GOATs, but he retired. With CR7, KB9, and many more.
Apple's business with Messi demonstrates again that Apple is being led by old men who don't really understand 2024. Messi's MLS deal smells like a AARP 1-month free trial.
It’s football. Anyone calling it soccer isn’t a soccer lover lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: decypher44

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
Modric plays in Spain where there are only three decent teams and he plays for one of them. So playing four times a season in your domestic league doesn't make you great. Modric couldn't hack it in the EPL so was quickly punted by Spurs. Messi has only played in Spain and France, where there's only one big team. Neither compares to Diego who took relegation fodder like Napoli and made them winners of the Italian league against great teams like Milan, Inter and Juventus.
You sound too absolutist. You could say that there is resource concentration in a few teams in almost all football leagues of the world. But saying that playing in Real Madrid is not competitive level, is ridiculous. Maybe you are a total Premiere League fan, and anything outside the Premiere is not competitive for you. Fanatics have fanatic positions, so good luck with that.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Most MLS games are purges, laxatives. I'm also a TV+ subscriber but I would not watch MLS even if it was free. MLS is slowly improving, though. But buying old guys retiring from European leagues is not the best option IMO. Watching Messi walking on the field is just painful. As painful as Ronaldo and Benzema in Saudi Arabia. I hope MLS will invest in young american players. It could be an amazing league.
Messi gave a huge boost to MLS. Messi walks on the field because he is very experienced.

I agree, Ronaldo in the Saudia Arabia bush league is painful to watch. Although the guy is such a poodle slathered in luxury he probably fits right in with Saudi royalty.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
It was last year—the huge jump in price from “free” (at least I got it as an offer) to over ten dollars extra a month is a bit extreme. For those who are wanting premier league and other options, Paramount+ has quite a bit for quite a bit less money.
Paramount does have the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and Conference and Italian Seria A but not the Premier League. But yes, they have these 3 leagues for less $$ monthly than MLS on AppleTV. Similarly, for less $$ monthly, Spanish and German top soccer leagues as well as English, German, and Spanish Cup competitions are all on ESPN+ . The same $$ fact is true for the monthly subscription to NBC’s Peacock which has the English Premier League. French Ligue 1 is on beinSports but i do not know if for less or more than the MLS pass on Apple.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
Really? Modric was spectacular at Spurs. That is why Real Madrid chased and bought him. Also: If you check the history of Europe‘s top club soccer competitions including the Champions League, you will find more than 3 „decent“ Spanish6 teams. There is simply not one GOAT in soccer. Both Messi and Maradona won the World Cup, Messi won the Champions League with Barcelona several times, Maradona did not with Napoli. It is a team sport … Napoli simply was not good enough to win the UCL despite Maradona. Messi would not have won it, if he had not had Iniesta et al. on his Barca team., Messi, Modric, Mbappe (eventually if not already), CR7, Pelé, … they all indeed belong to the G-Players-OAT.

CheffyDude

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2022
I'm sick of Apple pushing MLS on me when I hate soccer. My Apple TV has every game in my "coming up" List- I DON'T WANT IT! Don't want to see it or be around it. There is no way to delete this or stop it from showing up on my Apple TV. Thank you Apple for, again, forcing your SUCK on me.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
You sound too absolutist. You could say that there is resource concentration in a few teams in almost all football leagues of the world. But saying that playing in Real Madrid is not competitive level, is ridiculous. Maybe you are a total Premiere League fan, and anything outside the Premiere is not competitive for you. Fanatics have fanatic positions, so good luck with that.
Putting the Messi argument to the side, I hate the centralization of resources in the the English leagues but that's the way it will go. The EPL will continue to get all the money and Spain will become a backwater like Italia and Germany have become. We're already seeing the owners of the top Spanish teams whining about this but Barcelona will become cannonball fodder for EPL CL teams in the end game. Not that the CL isn't a joke where it is filled with non-Champions of domestic leagues which is another crime by UEFA.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Really? Modric was spectacular at Spurs. That is why Real Madrid chased and bought him. Also: If you check the history of Europe‘s top club soccer competitions including the Champions League, you will find more than 3 „decent“ Spanish6 teams. There is simply not one GOAT in soccer. Both Messi and Maradona won the World Cup, Messi won the Champions League with Barcelona several times, Maradona did not with Napoli. It is a team sport … Napoli simply was not good enough to win the UCL despite Maradona. Messi would not have won it, if he had not had Iniesta et al. on his Barca team., Messi, Modric, Mbappe (eventually if not already), CR7, Pelé, … they all indeed belong to the G-Players-OAT.
We have different definitions of spectacular. The Spanish league has three top teams and the rest are there to make up the numbers. What Napoli did was all down to Diego and the Italia league was filled with the world's greatest players back then. Diego wasn't at one of the top Italian teams so I view his achievements as second to none.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
We have different definitions of spectacular. The Spanish league has three top teams and the rest are there to make up the numbers. What Napoli did was all down to Diego and the Italia league was filled with the world's greatest players back then. Diego wasn't at one of the top Italian teams so I view his achievements as second to none.
Different definitions, indeed. The rest of the soccer world and I agree that Modric was spectacular enough on the national team, at Spurs, and at Real to eventually wind the Ballon d‘Or. I agree that Diego was arguably the GOHT … the Greatest of His Time, certainly. But it was a different time. Since the 80‘s and 90‘s, the sport has picked up in intensity, speed, tactics. No one will ever know how Diego would have fared today. It is pointless to compare players from different eras under the GOAT header. If you look at the top leagues such as La Liga in terms just top teams v. the rest, then that applies to all leagues … it is typically 3-4 top teams and the rest (but they are not there to just make up the numbers).

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Different definitions, indeed. The rest of the soccer world and I agree that Modric was spectacular enough on the national team, at Spurs, and at Real to eventually wind the Ballon d‘Or. I agree that Diego was arguably the GOHT … the Greatest of His Time, certainly. But it was a different time. Since the 80‘s and 90‘s, the sport has picked up in intensity, speed, tactics. No one will ever know how Diego would have fared today. It is pointless to compare players from different eras under the GOAT header. If you look at the top leagues such as La Liga in terms just top teams v. the rest, then that applies to all leagues … it is typically 3-4 top teams and the rest (but they are not there to just make up the numbers).
Modric was a chump at Spurs and couldn't wait to get away from them. His scoring record was terrible for starters. Stop regurgitating what you read elsewhere and watch and judge players by your own eye. That's my recommendation to you and most others who constantly fire off plaudits they read in the press. Groupthink is a terrible indictment. Diego Armando Maradona is the greatest for every and all decades.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
… Diego Armando Maradona is the greatest for every and all decades.
(A) The WC 2014 winning German team did not have a GOAT candidate like Diego Armando Maradona (DAM), its opponent in that final did.
(B) In 1986, Argentina beat Germany in the final … not because of DAM. Four years later, Argentina lost the final against Germany despite DAM.
(C) Soccer is a team sport, not a religion.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
(A) The WC 2014 winning German team did not have a GOAT candidate like Diego Armando Maradona (DAM), its opponent in that final did.
(B) In 1986, Argentina beat Germany in the final … not because of DAM. Four years later, Argentina lost the final against Germany despite DAM.
(C) Soccer is a team sport, not a religion.
(B) The 1990 WC is well-known to be the most terrible World Cup ever. Maradona never went to the 1978 WC when he should have but they were a team filled with stars, like Kempes, Ossie et al. 1986 was a mediocre with Diego magic. 1990 was just terrible in every sense, won by a trash West Germany team.
(C) Soccer is a religion to those who matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.