Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somewhataureliu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Does anyone know of a liquid cooling system for the older G5's? I know some of the newer top end G5's are liquid cooled. Would it even be worth it to add one? As it is my computer runs in the upper 60's(celsius).

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Liquid cooling isn't required unless you do use a lot of high performance applications, all the time. Most pros don't even use liquid cooling.

I knew a guy that had liquid cooling in his gaming/flight simulation rig and it leaked-destorying all of his custom software (and some of the hardware).

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
somewhataureliu said:
Does anyone know of a liquid cooling system for the older G5's? I know some of the newer top end G5's are liquid cooled. Would it even be worth it to add one? As it is my computer runs in the upper 60's(celsius).

If dual 2GHz G5 required liquid cooling, Apple would have included it in the standard pakage.

My iMac's CPU runs at 70-76 degrees C all the time and I have no problems with that, so 60C is ok.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
somewhataureliu said:
Does anyone know of a liquid cooling system for the older G5's? I know some of the newer top end G5's are liquid cooled. Would it even be worth it to add one? ...
You cannot add liquid-cooling to a PM G5. Apple matches each processor to its cooling unit. The case is designed to accomodate the cooling air flow. If you want liquid-cooling, then you have to buy a computer that is liquid-cooled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.