Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Hi I have a c2d black macbook here that had a sugary drink spilled on it(not mine and I didn't do the spilling just trying to help this also happened a while back so the machine is definately dry, he initially tried to turn it back on right away). The machine will boot but just shows the question mark folder. The dvd drive try's to read the install dvd but fails. So I was wondering how I could go about setting this machine to boot from an external drive? Essentially how I could get a macbook image and set a drive up to boot(all I have are usb external drives). All we have at the house is an al 24" imac.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
From the Imac you should be able to install OSX. Make sure you use the GUID partition table if you want it to be a bootable drive though. Then, connect it to the MacBook and boot up holding OPTION. Good luck. To be honest, I think it sounds like your machine is rooted. :eek:

By the way, have you tried booting into Target Disk Mode with the iMac?

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
Boot the macbook in target disk mode (holding the "t" button on startup) and then connect it to the iMac via firewire. If the macbook's drive shows up on the imac, backup your macbook's data. at least it will show you if the hd is corrupted.

But perhaps it would be better to clean the macbook at first. Search for the other spilling threads in this forum for good cleaning advices.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
thanks for the replies. Yeah I already cleaned the machine and its not mine thankfully. I accidentaly damaged the fan header( didn't have a spudger or whatever its called and it broke two of the leads off the motherboard :( but I saudered the leads back and the fan turns on so thats something.) I think that the logic board might actually be ok but the hd and the dvd drive are both shot.
So I was hoping for a way to set up osx on a usb drive and boot the macbook from that so I could see if the logic board is ok. I have read that it is possible but all the info I see is for machines that have working drives and they just copy over the osx install from the hd. I need to find a way to get an osx install meant for a macbook onto one of my usb drives and then boot to that drive from the macbook to see if the logic board still works(definately seems like it does to me I'd almost bet on it.) If the logic board is shot I would think it wouldn't show anything.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
thanks for the replies. Yeah I already cleaned the machine and its not mine thankfully. I accidentaly damaged the fan header( didn't have a spudger or whatever its called and it broke two of the leads off the motherboard :( but I saudered the leads back and the fan turns on so thats something.) I think that the logic board might actually be ok but the hd and the dvd drive are both shot.
So I was hoping for a way to set up osx on a usb drive and boot the macbook from that so I could see if the logic board is ok. I have read that it is possible but all the info I see is for machines that have working drives and they just copy over the osx install from the hd. I need to find a way to get an osx install meant for a macbook onto one of my usb drives and then boot to that drive from the macbook to see if the logic board still works(definately seems like it does to me I'd almost bet on it.) If the logic board is shot I would think it wouldn't show anything.

osx should be able to be installed from a USB drive. i am unsure as to whether the speeds from the USB drive would be reasonable, would go pretty darn slow.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
osx should be able to be installed from a USB drive. i am unsure as to whether the speeds from the USB drive would be reasonable, would go pretty darn slow.

No, I've run a MacBook off an external USB drive and although it was definitely slower at booting and at launching applications it worked pretty well otherwise.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No, I've run a MacBook off an external USB drive and although it was definitely slower at booting and at launching applications it worked pretty well otherwise.

oh ok should be all sweet then to do it. i could see the advantage of being able to do that, take it wherever you want it :).

8gb flash drives do cost quite a bit tho!!!!!!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Oh, you're talking about a flash drive? I assumed the OP was talking about an external hard drive.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
yeah just an external regular hd no flash drive. Problem I have is how to get the image? I can't stick the install dvd in the drive and install to the usb drive as the dvd drive is shot.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not on an intel based machine yet, but as far as i know intel macs can boot from an external USB HD.

Connect your external hd to your iMac (backup your stuff to your iMac).
Pop the Mac OS X Disc in your iMac .

Go to:

Mac OS X Install Disc/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

(you'll need list view to see the folders)
double click the mpkg and install the OS to your external hd.
(Be aware! your external hd will be erased)
After you're done with that, go to the startupdisk pref pane and check, if your are able to boot from the external hd. If so, plug your external hd into your macbook and hold the Option/Alt key when the gray Apple logo appears during startup.

Your MacBook should boot.

This whole process worked for me several times, but as I sad, I used a PPC Mac with a firewire drive.

Good luck

Dave

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
thanks I'll give that a try I thought that would result in an install meant for an imac and that it wouldn't work on the macbook I know the disks won't work across machines so I thought it would install custom stuff per machine I'll try it in a couple of days probably and post back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.