Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread with apps that support "app slicing". This thread is a wiki.
Apps:
  • Amazon
  • Documents (by Readdle)
  • Do (by IFTTT)
  • Do Camera
  • Do Note
  • Evernote
  • FaceBook
  • FaceBook Messenger
  • GIF for Messenger
  • Heaps
  • iCabMobile
  • Instagram
  • iTranslate
  • Keynote
  • Linguee
  • maps.me
  • Numbers
  • Pages
  • Pixelmator
  • Shazam Encore
  • TestFlight
  • Things (by Cultured Code)
  • Tumblr
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
  • 1Blocker
  • 1Password
  • 500px

Last edited:

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Do you have to re-download the apps, or will they be sliced at next available update?

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
Keep in mind, Apple does the thinning/slicing itself. Developers can use Xcode to test how it works, but they are still sending just one version to Apple.
Apple then does its thing, and sends specific "slices" to specific ios9 devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like Twitter has a smaller app size if uninstalled and then reinstalled again.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
isnt the whole point of this feature that broke itunes app syncing, supposed to come into effect when apps gets updated with it? why do we have to reinstall them to get it to take effect?

ie: some of my apps already installed are up to date, size dont change, reinstall it, app size is smaller, shouldnt that last update enable it automatically? (yes APP SIZE, not it's cache)

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
some of my apps already installed are up to date, size dont change, reinstall it, app size is smaller, shouldnt that last update enable it automatically? (yes APP SIZE, not it's cache)
I've observed when I update my apps, that I'm getting the sliced versions and I know this because all of the app sizes in manage storage drop by 30/40% depending upon app. I don't believe an uninstall/reinstall is required.

iOSBry

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
So how does app thinning work? Does it have to be installed OTA from Apple's server or can you download an app in iTunes and then iTunes syncs appropriate version for your device?

Reactions: Shirasaki

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Oddly Apple doesn't currently appear to be using App thinning for their own apps. I uninstalled and reinstalled Numbers, and there was no change in size.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Oddly Apple doesn't currently appear to be using App thinning for their own apps. I uninstalled and reinstalled Numbers, and there was no change in size.
That isn't too surprising since the iWork apps haven't been updated for iOS 9 yet.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't think it's been implanted yet. I've been carefully watching app sizes when updating my devices and today Facebook, Instagram, Speedtest.net and myFitnessPal were updated with identical files and file sizes between my 5S and Air 2.

image.png image.png

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Same here with iPhone 6 And iPad Air 1. Identical sizes, sometimes even larger than before (Pixelmator and Facebook).

I know Apple held off on its implementation when iOS 9 was released due to a back up bug (if it backs up only the sliced version then it will be restricted to one particular device). I assumed when I saw this thread they had fixed the issue, however that doesn't appear to be the case.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think it's been implanted yet. I've been carefully watching app sizes when updating my devices and today Facebook, Instagram, Speedtest.net and myFitnessPal were updated with identical files and file sizes between my 5S and Air 2.

View attachment 592064 View attachment 592065
Seems like the sizes of various installed apps themselves are smaller than they used to be though after an update or re-installation.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Seems like the sizes of various installed apps themselves are smaller than they used to be though after an update or re-installation.

App sizes should still vary per phone and tablet. Facebook is as large currently as its ever been. Sure reinstalling it will remove the cache but that's always been the way of iOS (inability to remove cache without deleting and installing).

App slicing was/is going to remove the elements of the iPad version and other factors (CPU, screen size, screen rest audio etc) when downloading an app for the iPhone and vice versa. So it would be virtually impossible to have exactly the same file size (to the kb if you use a computer to look) between them.

image.jpeg

There are just too many variables. And this is completely done on Apples end. Devs still upload the universal versions of their apps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
App sizes should still vary per phone and tablet. Facebook is as large currently as its ever been. Sure reinstalling it will remove the cache but that's always been the way of iOS (inability to remove cache without deleting and installing).

App slicing was/is going to remove the elements of the iPad version and other factors (CPU, screen size, screen rest audio etc) when downloading an app for the iPhone and vice versa. So it would be virtually impossible to have exactly the same file size (to the kb if you use a computer to look) between them.

View attachment 592121

There are just too many variables. And this is completely done on Apples end. Devs still upload the universal versions of their apps.
That's the thing, this is comparing on the same exact device looking at only the app size itself (without including any app data). As discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app-thinning.1926276/ as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's the thing, this is comparing on the same exact device looking at only the app size itself (without including any app data). As discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app-thinning.1926276/ as well.

We are talking about App Slicing which is part of but not the same as App Thinning. By its very nature you can't compare app slicing on one device. Apps decrease and increase in size all the time.

The thing I was pointing out is it appears I'm receiving the universal apps in there entirety meaning I have all the elements of the apps. But per app slicing I should only have the elements related to that device. There should be some variance in size between apps per device. Kind of like a "for iPad" only app is WAY different in size then it's iPhone counter part, universal apps should display similar behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.