Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: macappleguy8

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I'm not sure if you're wanting tutorials or full classes. Ray wenderlich has a great site although the forums seem a bit of a slow to respond.

I've always liked the Lynda.com setup, they have all kinds of stuff there.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
I'm actually using a combination of books/videos/sites to learn iOS coding and Swift right now. Please keep in mind that I am a NEWBIE (big time) and have absolutely no professional experience working as a programmer or developer. I did learn BASIC, Pascal and FORTRAN back in the mid to late 80s in high school and freshman year of college, but that's it. No programming since then. All of that being said, I feel like I'm getting a LOT out of the following sources (in order from most frequently used to least):

The "iOS App Development for Non-Programmers" book series
Treehouse (the "iOS Development with Swift 2.0" track)
Lynda.com (many courses on Swift 2.0 and iOS programming)

I've looked at codewithchris.com and raywenderlich.com but I think I have more than enough STUFF to study...I just need to DO IT!! It seems to me that the toughest roadblock is making the cognitive leap from procedural programming (what we're all used to from the 80s) to this object-oriented programming. Every time they start talking about structs, classes, methods, instances, inheritance, etc., I feel like I'm back in my "Modern Physics" class back in college, trying to understand relativity, the uncertainty principle, etc. The concepts and syntax really push me to my mental limits! Either I'm getting early-onset dementia, or I'm just out of practice learning new things. But seriously, though, I DO think the sources I listed are all excellent, and each has their particular strengths. The book series by Kevin McNeish is especially good, and if you follow them in order, and really work through the examples and challenges, you will walk away feeling like you get it.

I'm just starting the second book in the McNeish series, about 25% of the way through the Treehouse track, and just starting the Lynda.com videos. I feel like doing all of this at once will help reinforce my knowledge and understanding. I purchased a year subscription to lynda.com, bought all the books in the McNeish series (except the Objective-C one...I don't see a need for that), and I subscribe to Treehouse month-to-month. I'll be happy to keep you all updated as I progress, though. I intend to have an app in the app store before the end of 2016...let's see if I can do it!!!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I updated the OP with information about the new updated Stanford class that just came out.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
TurnToTech seems very organized IMO! I'm quite shocked and pleased.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
TurnToTech seems very organized IMO! I'm quite shocked and pleased.

Just checked out TurnToTech...are you aware that's more of a "bootcamp" than an online programming course? It looks like they charge $12,000 for the 16 week intensive "turn me into an iOS developer" program (the last six weeks are actually spent working in the field as an intern). The problem is that it looks like you have to actually go THERE for their bootcamp (New York City) and attend classes during business hours...read the FAQs. It's a little different than subscribing to Treehouse or Lynda.com, or paying $20 for a Udemy course, and learning from home in your spare time. I guess if the goal is to get hired right away and really make a career change, then yes, something like this would be much more cost effective than going back to college. But as a "hobbyist" who's trying to work full-time and support my family, I think my wife would crucify me if I signed up for something like this (even though, truth be told, I'd LOVE to pack up my family and move to NYC for four months of iOS training)!!! Well, if anyone does (or did) this, please share your experiences so we can all live vicariously through you!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Just checked out TurnToTech...are you aware that's more of a "bootcamp" than an online programming course? It looks like they charge $12,000 for the 16 week intensive "turn me into an iOS developer" program (the last six weeks are actually spent working in the field as an intern). The problem is that it looks like you have to actually go THERE for their bootcamp (New York City) and attend classes during business hours...read the FAQs. It's a little different than subscribing to Treehouse or Lynda.com, or paying $20 for a Udemy course, and learning from home in your spare time. I guess if the goal is to get hired right away and really make a career change, then yes, something like this would be much more cost effective than going back to college. But as a "hobbyist" who's trying to work full-time and support my family, I think my wife would crucify me if I signed up for something like this (even though, truth be told, I'd LOVE to pack up my family and move to NYC for four months of iOS training)!!! Well, if anyone does (or did) this, please share your experiences so we can all live vicariously through you!
I know it's more than that. I was posting all of the online and in person courses/bootcamps etc... I really wanted to get people's opinion of them and have a single place people could go for all of the iOS courses regardless of type. I could split up the OP to label it better if that helps.... People have different learning styles so... I actually went to turntotech twice already for meet ups and they seem the most organized for in person "bootcamp" style courses from my experience so far...

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I was paid to go to one of those bootcamp type places before. They rented out a space at a hotel and had computers setup there. It wasn't bad, but not great. Too many people at different levels of knowledge and we all had to wait for the slower people to catch up. It was hard to get specific questions answered without slowing down the whole thing.

IMO, because people learn at different rates and start with different levels of knowledge, it's more effective to grab a book and work thru it, then come back with specific one-on-one questions. That's actually what tutorials, books and StackOverflow does pretty well for dirt cheap.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I was paid to go to one of those bootcamp type places before. They rented out a space at a hotel and had computers setup there. It wasn't bad, but not great. Too many people at different levels of knowledge and we all had to wait for the slower people to catch up. It was hard to get specific questions answered without slowing down the whole thing.

IMO, because people learn at different rates and start with different levels of knowledge, it's more effective to grab a book and work thru it, then come back with specific one-on-one questions. That's actually what tutorials, books and StackOverflow does pretty well for dirt cheap.
TurnToTech people I've met usually are a smart motivated bunch. The class is very small for the night time class... like 3 - 5 people. They have almost as many devs who can help you as students.

Last edited:

alexblack10

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If you have Xcode installed and take a peak in /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS4.3.sdk/System/Library/, you'll see two folders: Frameworks and PrivateFrameworks respectively. Inside each of these folders are the frameworks that are public and, well, private.

Note that the path will change slightly with each iOS SDK release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.