Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
List under “HISTORY” of Significant locations does not show different city names, but shows multiple entries of same State in which the cities travelled are situated.

A Country consists of States, which in turn contain different cities.

It is expected that the list of entries shown under “HISTORY” section of iOS settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Settings > Significant Locations, should display different cities or other suitable sub-units visited by the user carrying the iPhone which is recording the visits. Clicking each such city under the heading “HISTORY” should further show actual location names visited within that city.

However due to bug in iOS, the list shown under “HISTORY” contains name of single State (which geographically contains the different visited cities) multiple times instead of separate city names. The State mentioned in the list when clicked further shows different locations of cities visited by the user , but does not display the individual city names anywhere.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
What happens if you clear the history? Does it still behave that way for newly-acquired locations?

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
What happens if you clear the history? Does it still behave that way for newly-acquired locations?
Yes. It still behaves same for newly acquired locations even if I clear the history or even if I restore the iPhone as new after clearing the history.
Only state name is mentioned, no city name.

List under “HISTORY” of Significant locations does not show different city names, but shows multiple entries of same State in which the cities travelled are situated.

A Country consists of States, which in turn contain different cities.

It is expected that the list of entries shown under “HISTORY” section of iOS settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Settings > Significant Locations, should display different cities or other suitable sub-units visited by the user carrying the iPhone which is recording the visits. Clicking each such city under the heading “HISTORY” should further show actual location names visited within that city.

However due to bug in iOS, the list shown under “HISTORY” contains name of single State (which geographically contains the different visited cities) multiple times instead of separate city names. The State mentioned in the list when clicked further shows different locations of cities visited by the user , but does not display the individual city names anywhere

do you mind posting a screenshot please

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015

Attachments

• Screenshot_02.png
    Screenshot_02.png
    604 KB · Views: 154

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You're asking about location in India, and I wonder if you have a friend with an iPhone and significant locations enabled in the same location for whom this works the way you expect it. It would be a good way to test it.

Has this worked previously for you? If not, I also wonder if perhaps the full functionality of significant locations is not available in your location. This Apple Support article lists iOS function availability in locations, but doesn't specifically mention the significant location function.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
You're asking about location in India, and I wonder if you have a friend with an iPhone and significant locations enabled in the same location for whom this works the way you expect it. It would be a good way to test it.

Has this worked previously for you? If not, I also wonder if perhaps the full functionality of significant locations is not available in your location. This Apple Support article lists iOS function availability in locations, but doesn't specifically mention the significant location function.
I have another iPhone 7 with myself which I take with me in my left trouser pocket, while the iPhone 11 Pro is in my right trouser pocket. The iPhone 11 Pro gives the erratic screen shot I attached.
The iPhone 7 works perfectly alright. The iPhone 7 shows the names of cities in place of the names of state shown in the attached screen shot for significant locations.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I have another iPhone 7 with myself which I take with me in my left trouser pocket, while the iPhone 11 Pro is in my right trouser pocket. The iPhone 11 Pro gives the erratic screen shot I attached.
The iPhone 7 works perfectly alright. The iPhone 7 shows the names of cities in place of the names of state shown in the attached screen shot for significant locations.
Very interesting. Have you tried Reset All Settings on the 11?

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Very interesting. Have you tried Reset All Settings on the 11?
Not just reset, I have in fact setup that iPhone 11 Pro as new using ipsw file for iOS 14.4.
And then I took that iPhone with me along with iPhone 7.
The erratic behaviour continues unchanged.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Not just reset, I have in fact setup that iPhone 11 Pro as new using ipsw file for iOS 14.4.
And then I took that iPhone with me along with iPhone 7.
The erratic behaviour continues unchanged.
I'm sorry to hear that. If both phones are on the same 14.4 version, there must be a setting somewhere that's affecting that behavior, but I'm out of ideas. If you do get it resolved, let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.