Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modyouup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
Is there any way to read Microsoft Reader (.lit) files on Mac? Is there any Mac app that will read these things?

Thanks. :)

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
It seems like there isn't. Microsoft don't have plans to write one and it's a Microsoft proprietry closed standard with DRM embedded, so I don't think anyone could develop a reader easily. I don't think anyone but Microsoft have developed a reader for this format even on Windows.

If you've bought digital books from vendors and downloaded the .lit version, you may be able to ask for a .pdf (Adobe Acrobat eBook) format in exchange. There's no problem with this format on a Mac.

modyouup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
Hmmm. I keep remembering about Dmitry Skylarov (probably spelled wrong). That Russian guy who went to Defcon and talked about how he had cracked the DRM on the ebook and he was held in the states to be tried under the DMCA. I remember him winning the case and the company he worked for continued this and developed software to break the DRM.

Hopefully this will spawn some Mac support from someone who gets ahold of Dmitry's code, quite a long shot though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.