Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Reviews are spectacular and rightly so. The stories are funny, sad, and beautiful.

This is the crown jewel of AppleTV Plus so far.

Wanted to discuss here.

GROUND RULES: We don't want this to be PRSI, so
  • No mention of this or prior Presidential administrations
  • No mention xenophobia or racism
  • No "lecture" comments
maxresdefault.jpg

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
I absolutely loved this poignant series and binge watched it in one sitting! Loved its portrayal of immigrants and the arduous journey they endure to come to and stay in America. Not just the physical journey but the mental, socioeconomic, and cultural hardships highlighted throughout the episodes.

As an immigrant myself, there were many themes I could identify with throughout the series. Some episodes brought tears to my eyes like the Jaguar, Baker, and Son episodes. There was only 1 episode that I didn't really enjoy -- The Silence.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I'm really looking forward to seeing this series very much! I love what Zinacef said about this. Surely this series should be on school/education curriculums? No doubt a series with substance, integrity and empathy. Total respect to Apple for this!

Reactions: zinacef

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I love this show. I've watched the fist 4 episodes so far and I've gotten a teary eye on most of them (didn't feel The Silence). I identify closely to this series. When i first came to this country about 25 years ago I didn't speak the language and I went through similar situations portray on the show.

I like that there's no super stars leading and the stories are told on the point of view of the immigrant. I think the episodes could be 45 mins as I feel like they are rushed sometimes.

Looking forward to watch the rest of the season.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Stopped watching after the scene with Laura Bush in episode 1. Trying too hard to pull on emotions. I might give it another try though.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Reviews are spectacular and rightly so. The stories are funny, sad, and beautiful.

This is the crown jewel of AppleTV Plus so far.

Wanted to discuss here.

GROUND RULES: We don't want this to be PRSI, so
  • No mention of this or prior Presidential administrations
  • No mention xenophobia or racism
  • No "lecture" comments
maxresdefault.jpg

I so want to make time for this... need to be much more of a lurker around here for awhile so I don't see the PRSI and get tempted to hang out there. Have to focus on getting my fabric selection and cutting done for new quilt piecing projects, get bindings prepared for stuff that's out at the longarm quilter's right now... can then take a break and tune in. I'm motivated now by this thread!

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I actually really enjoy this show. We are through episode 5 and the only one I didn't like was the silent retreat episode. Sounds like nobody in this thread has really enjoyed that episode.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I actually really enjoy this show. We are through episode 5 and the only one I didn't like was the silent retreat episode. Sounds like nobody in this thread has really enjoyed that episode.
It's still a pretty remarkable story, but it's by far the least impactful, IMHO.

Chrisp1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
...it was actually my favourite episode together with the cowboy, the one with the rock was the one i enjoyed the least..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.