Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GD1484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Hello lovely community.

I have a conundrum. I work mostly with InDesign, Photohsop, Illustrator and XD. I work across a range of online and print media including brochures, exhibitions, large screen formats, merchandise... so I need a screen that is good for print as well as screen.

I am about to upgrade from my iMac 27inch to a Mac Studio, but I have heard bad things about the 27inch Studio Display. I wondered if any of you are using this setup and would give me your opinions on it. And if you're using something differnt if you could let me know what is.

Thanks in advance.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I work across a range of online and print media including brochures, exhibitions, large screen formats, merchandise...

There are a great many threads in this forum about monitors. It is worth your time to browse them as a great many little factoids get dropped in.

But one thing that is not often discussed here is what I highlighted in your query.

While XDR is a current fad, working with printed material is a different specialty than working with video/cinema.

It's always been that way. Anyone who has worked with photographic film knows that trying to make a (paper) print is always a challenge, as the reflective media just does not give the photographer the same number of stops as the film.

Getting the right color on paper is always a matter of concern.

If you work primarily to make printed material, you'll be better served with a matt screen surface, color accuracy, and modest brightness. The big names in this specialty field are Eizo and BenQ. I have not used monitors from either company so cannot give you first hand recommendation on their models, but it likely will be worth at least checking them out.

but I have heard bad things about the 27inch Studio Display.
There's a large thread here dedicated to ASD owners/experiences.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
What did your hear about it? Most likely, the bad things you've heard are not related to the panel quality itself, but more about some design choices (stand options, non-removable power cord) or the webcam. The panel will be similar to your 27 inch iMac, just with a brighter display. Hope this is helpful!

GD1484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
There are a great many threads in this forum about monitors. It is worth your time to browse them as a great many little factoids get dropped in.

But one thing that is not often discussed here is what I highlighted in your query.

While XDR is a current fad, working with printed material is a different specialty than working with video/cinema.

It's always been that way. Anyone who has worked with photographic film knows that trying to make a (paper) print is always a challenge, as the reflective media just does not give the photographer the same number of stops as the film.

Getting the right color on paper is always a matter of concern.

If you work primarily to make printed material, you'll be better served with a matt screen surface, color accuracy, and modest brightness. The big names in this specialty field are Eizo and BenQ. I have not used monitors from either company so cannot give you first hand recommendation on their models, but it likely will be worth at least checking them out.

There's a large thread here dedicated to ASD owners/experiences.
Thank you this is very useful. I have had a read of some of the threads, was going a bit opinion blind to be honest! I was hoping to narrow down the field by listing my needs, so your advice is very welcome. I guess my work split between print and digital is 50/50 at the moment. I often work on campaigns that include web, digital ads, digital ad boards, newsprint, magazine print, brochures and leaflets, event merch and signage, lanyards... so everything really.

GD1484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
What did your hear about it? Most likely, the bad things you've heard are not related to the panel quality itself, but more about some design choices (stand options, non-removable power cord) or the webcam. The panel will be similar to your 27 inch iMac, just with a brighter display. Hope this is helpful!
Hiya, yes exactly that, that the panel is almost identical to the 27inch iMac but the rest of it doesn't live up to the price tag and what's out there from other manufacturers.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Hiya, yes exactly that, that the panel is almost identical to the 27inch iMac but the rest of it doesn't live up to the price tag and what's out there from other manufacturers.
Yes the panel is almost identical to the iMac, and definitely not the cheapest option. That said, there are not a lot of 5K 27in displays on the market right now, so if you're looking for something as crisp and sharp as your iMac display, you're looking into more expensive options. You have similar options from LG and Samsung, but the aesthetics are not as good as the Studio Display

Reactions: GD1484

GD1484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Thank you this is very useful. I have had a read of some of the threads, was going a bit opinion blind to be honest! I was hoping to narrow down the field by listing my needs, so your advice is very welcome. I guess my work split between print and digital is 50/50 at the moment. I often work on campaigns that include web, digital ads, digital ad boards, newsprint, magazine print, brochures and leaflets, event merch and signage, lanyards... so everything really.
Ezio seem to have some compatibility issues with the M1-M3 series chip. Shame because they look great. https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/pc/mac/apple-m1/

Reactions: picpicmac

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I'm not an ASD owner (my 2017 5K 27" iMac should be similar). Been reading threads and watching YouTube reviews learning about them. I'm curious as to what negatives you heard about them (other than the attached power cord and subpar webcam (which may be a compromise for Center Stage functionality per one source) you've heard.

I, too, balk at the price tag. Badly! As to what it lives up to, that depends on part on what you value in. Do all of these things matter to you?

1.) 5K Resolution (retina quality).
2.) Ease of adjusting settings from a Mac...but not from a PC (and you don't get external setting control knobs).
3.) Thunderbolt is nice...but don't expect to hook up with an HDMI cable.
4.) Excellent built-in speaker system, by the standards of monitor speakers.
5.) 60-Hz Refresh rate - probably fine unless you're a serious gamer.
6.) Excellent color accuracy with a Mac, right out of the box.
7.) Lacks HDR.
8.) Build quality and aesthetics - some people really object to what they see as 'cheap plastic' look and feel on alternatives, and value the aluminum body that doesn't flex when they grab and push it around.
9.) The height-adjustable stand price looks insane. If you want VESA, get it when you buy the ASD; IIRC, not all ASD's come VESA-ready.
10.) It's glossy (except the nano-texture version is matte). If you care, be careful...I was eying a Samsung that turned out to be matte.

I'm not arguing it is or isn't worth the huge price, and much of the impression I've cultivated is 2nd hand. Whether the ASD is obscenely overpriced or conditionally fair value (if you will benefit from what it offers) is quite the debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: GD1484 and colodane

Dutch60

macrumors regular
May 18, 2019
Hello lovely community.

I have a conundrum. I work mostly with InDesign, Photohsop, Illustrator and XD. I work across a range of online and print media including brochures, exhibitions, large screen formats, merchandise... so I need a screen that is good for print as well as screen.

I am about to upgrade from my iMac 27inch to a Mac Studio, but I have heard bad things about the 27inch Studio Display. I wondered if any of you are using this setup and would give me your opinions on it. And if you're using something differnt if you could let me know what is.

Thanks in advance.

This thread could keep you busy for a while ;-)

Reactions: GD1484

GD1484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024

This thread could keep you busy for a while ;-)
Blimey there is a lot on there! Very useful though. One thing that may scupper an ASD for me is the inability to unplug the power cable. I have a built in desk that has a notch for cables designed around the Apple old style cable, not plugs. So I would have to either drill a wider hole in my desk to get the plug through, or unscrew the whole thing from the wall so that I can pull it out enough to get the plug down the back. Slightly concerning how damage to the cable seems to be a reoccurring issue with it when sent back for repair. Also concerning is how many people mention sending it back for repair...

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.