Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gramps416

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I have recently upgraded my little snitch software and noticed that disabling or removing protected rules is no longer possible.

I would like to revert back to a previous version where i can remove or disable protected rules I don't like.

I studied the changelog but could not see... Does anyone remember when this change was implemented?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I have recently upgraded my little snitch software and noticed that disabling or removing protected rules is no longer possible.

I have the latest version, and while the "disable" checkbox is grayed out, you can still highlight the protected rule and use the Edit/Disable menu function. It will complain, but let you do it anyway.

LSalmostsucks

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
Your answer is incorrect

HenryAZ - Are you sure you're running the latest version, cause I am.

Version #3.5.2
Core System Version 4240
Kernel Version 4240

And this version Does NOT allow you to edit protected rules. Upgrade and let me know what happens.

And ppl please don't fill this thread with "me too" just supply a fix or workaround IF you have one.

Last edited:

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Disabling protected rules works fine in current 3.5.2 version.

Help > Manage rules >
Disable and enable rules

Disabling rules is an alternative to deleting them. It allows you to keep them available and reenable them later, and it also works for protected rules. To disable (or enable) one or more selected rules, do one of the following:

• Choose Edit > Disable (or Enable) from the menu bar.
  • Right-click on the selected rules and choose Disable or Enable from the contextual menu.
  • Click the checkbox in the “On” column of the rules list.
  • Press the space bar to toggle the selected rules between enabled and disabled.
Disabled rules are greyed out and can be hidden from the list by clicking the Hide Disabled button in the toolbar.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
HenryAZ - Are you sure you're running the latest version, cause I am.

Version #3.5.2
Core System Version 4240
Kernel Version 4240

And this version Does NOT allow you to edit protected rules. Upgrade and let me know what happens.

And ppl please don't fill this thread with "me too" just supply a fix or workaround IF you have one.

I'm running the same version and build as you quote. Disabling Protected rules works perfectly.

coreyward

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2021
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I stumbled across this issue when looking for a solution. This thread didn't have the solution, but I did wind up finding one, so I'm sharing it here in hopes of saving someone else in the future.

In my case I was trying to disable a rule created by a subscription. The checkbox would show checked but disabled, and Edit > Disable was similarly disabled (grayed out) in the menu bar. There is a simple enough fix, though.

The solution: go into Little Snitch > Settings, head to the Security tab, then check "Allow Global Rule Editing".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.