Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
I’ve started it today and watched the first 5 episodes. Was wondering what other people were thinking.

To me, the episodes sometimes feel a bit cut short. Usually this type of show would be 42min, so sometimes the end comes a bit quickly. It results in some, in my opinion, unnecessary (or more significant than necessary) ellipses.

Other than that, I really like the show. The tone is good with good humourous moments sprinkled in. There was one plot point that appeared a bit abruptly without much foreshadowing, and maybe a few editing choices that I would’ve made differently, but the writing rings true and the story got me engaged, especially since it reminds me of similar experiences I’ve lived.

Anyone else has started this show and has an opinion?

Reactions: Pitch

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I like the show and I like her songs even more. I use Shazam to get the song and transfer it to iTunes. I think the show is more about her process in writing her songs, how she finds key words, thoughts or events and develops them into a song.

Reactions: Martinpa

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Sorry... tried it and didn't care for it...
It's OK, Not every show is for everybody.

Exactly. There’s still a lot of shows on Apple TV+ I haven’t given a chance yet, but this one, at first, I was rather tepid about. After the trailer and a few episodes, I found out I liked it. The important thing is to not speak ill of something without giving it a chance, like I suspect a lot of people have been doing with ATV+ shows.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Exactly. There’s still a lot of shows on Apple TV+ I haven’t given a chance yet, but this one, at first, I was rather tepid about. After the trailer and a few episodes, I found out I liked it. The important thing is to not speak ill of something without giving it a chance, like I suspect a lot of people have been doing with ATV+ shows.

Who spoke ill of anything? I did not disparage the show, the actors, the performances, the musical score, the premise or anything else. I simply said that I tried it and didn't care for it. Every show is not for everyone.

Sorry if I hurt your feeling by not liking a television show that you liked.

Next...

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Who spoke ill of anything? I did not disparage the show, the actors, the performances, the musical score, the premise or anything else. I simply said that I tried it and didn't care for it. Every show is not for everyone.

Sorry if I hurt your feeling by not liking a television show that you liked.

Next...
I wasn’t talking about you. The first thing i said was “exactly”, as in I agree not everyone can like every show. You said yourself you watched it and didn’t care for it, so obviously when i say some people are hyper critical of things they haven’t watched, I’m not talking about you. Who I’m talking about is a bunch of other people I’ve seen who seem adamant everything on Apple TV+ is ****, when they’ve watched none of it.

I’ve reread my message and thought that was clear enough. Sorry I wasn’t.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I wasn’t talking about you. The first thing i said was “exactly”, as in I agree not everyone can like every show. You said yourself you watched it and didn’t care for it, so obviously when i say some people are hyper critical of things they haven’t watched, I’m not talking about you. Who I’m talking about is a bunch of other people I’ve seen who seem adamant everything on Apple TV+ is ****, when they’ve watched none of it.

I’ve reread my message and thought that was clear enough. Sorry I wasn’t.

Standard protocol and etiquette would say that when you quote someone's post as a part of your reply, that you are speaking to that person, and augmenting or rebutting their comments.

Moving on.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
I apologized for not being clear. I quoted both you and Allyance, so my reply has to be taken with that context in mind. My first message was saying, in essence, "the important thing is that people aren't bashing something without watching it" which you stated you didn't do, since you tried it. I was contrasting your fair statement against the less fair ones I've seen on other threads. I don't know why you felt attacked, or why you felt the need to be passive aggressive when I explained what was clearly a misunderstanding and not an attack on your character or your opinion.

Sorry I quoted you simply to use your message as a good example of someone giving something a chance before saying they don't like it.
Sorry I didn't write it clearly enough that it wasn't misleading.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While Little Voice isn't among the best series on Apple TV+, with cliched stories (e.g., hokey love triangle) and "it's alright" performance, I enjoy it on the strength of cast's charisma and songs.

Cast:
  • Bess is a too perfect to be relatable, but she has such a wide range of emotions. And what a voice.
  • Louie is a particular stand out, who is so captivating to watch. The writing and performance are just perfect. I can see why Bess is willing to sacrifice and love her brother, despite his frequent troubles.
  • Samuel is such a righteous guy. He's exceptionally talented, generous, and good looking to boot. Whenever he joins Bess, the result is almost always a mini masterpiece.
  • Benny maybe mostly a background character, but I was so happy when he was "promoted" to Bess' manager.
  • Prisha initially felt a bit cliched, but the nuance of her performance and her parents show potentials.
  • Ethan is my primary complaint. The actor does a fine job but I find his back story to be tiresome.
Songs:
  • Along with Central Park, songs on this series are so good that they are greater than the show itself. Of course, music is subjective and your mileage may vary.
  • While Sara Bareilles songs aren't typically on my music listening rotation, I find her to be a very talented musician (her cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is phenomenal).
  • I am a big sucker for music composition scenes (Amadeus, Three Colors: Blue, Love & Mercy) and this series has plenty. Making of music video was also fantastic.
  • I lived in NYC for few years, took subway almost daily. Rarely saw musicians as talented as those featured on this series. But the series made me nostalgic for NYC.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
While Little Voice isn't among the best series on Apple TV+, with cliched stories (e.g., hokey love triangle) and "it's alright" performance, I enjoy it on the strength of cast's charisma and songs.

Cast:
  • Bess is a too perfect to be relatable, but she has such a wide range of emotions. And what a voice.
  • Louie is a particular stand out, who is so captivating to watch. The writing and performance are just perfect. I can see why Bess is willing to sacrifice and love her brother, despite his frequent troubles.
  • Samuel is such a righteous guy. He's exceptionally talented, generous, and good looking to boot. Whenever he joins Bess, the result is almost always a mini masterpiece.
  • Benny maybe mostly a background character, but I was so happy when he was "promoted" to Bess' manager.
  • Prisha initially felt a bit cliched, but the nuance of her performance and her parents show potentials.
  • Ethan is my primary complaint. The actor does a fine job but I find his back story to be tiresome.
Songs:
  • Along with Central Park, songs on this series are so good that they are greater than the show itself. Of course, music is subjective and your mileage may vary.
  • While Sara Bareilles songs aren't typically on my music listening rotation, I find her to be a very talented musician (her cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is phenomenal).
  • I am a big sucker for music composition scenes (Amadeus, Three Colors: Blue, Love & Mercy) and this series has plenty. Making of music video was also fantastic.
  • I lived in NYC for few years, took subway almost daily. Rarely saw musicians as talented as those featured on this series. But the series made me nostalgic for NYC.

Totally agree on your assessment of Louie and Sam. Ethan I don’t think they’ve established enough what attracts her to him. Interesting how you find Bess too perfect. There’s her pride that I suspect will get in her way, and the issues that have come from her dad (especially handling failure), although that was brushed over pretty quickly. So I guess there’s some groundwork for imperfections in her character, but yeah, you’re right, it hasn’t been exploited quite yet.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Totally agree on your assessment of Louie and Sam. Ethan I don’t think they’ve established enough what attracts her to him. Interesting how you find Bess too perfect. There’s her pride that I suspect will get in her way, and the issues that have come from her dad (especially handling failure), although that was brushed over pretty quickly. So I guess there’s some groundwork for imperfections in her character, but yeah, you’re right, it hasn’t been exploited quite yet.
I didn't meant to imply that Bess is faultless. I just find her to be "too boringly nice", taking care of everyone around her, doesn't blame everyone but herself, and so on. The series is still pretty new, and it only started "peeling layers" to show what's underneath (especially in regards to her parents) so I am not trying to be overly critical.

To me, the show is ultimately about how a song is made. In many ways, it mirrors another Apple TV+ series, Dickinson, which is about how a poem is written.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
I didn't meant to imply that Bess is faultless. I just find her to be "too boringly nice", taking care of everyone around her, doesn't blame everyone but herself, and so on. The series is still pretty new, and it only started "peeling layers" to show what's underneath (especially in regards to her parents) so I am not trying to be overly critical.

To me, the show is ultimately about how a song is made. In many ways, it mirrors another Apple TV+ series, Dickinson, which is about how a poem is written.

Ah, ok, gotcha. It’s very true she’s somewhat too selfless. I think it’s another reason I prefer Sam over Ethan. He seems more likely to challenge her in that sense the same way he called out her ******** regarding her father’s career (btw, that scene was so heavy handed. They could’ve gone with similar “coping” mechanism as her father without making her do exactly what her father did one or two scenes prior... it was anything but subtle)

Reactions: nutmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.