Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Hi, I normally use Image Capture to take the photos out of my iPhone. Now that I captured some Live Photos with my iPhone 7, before importing them to my Mac, I would like to know if the will remain as Live Photos?
I'm running macOS Sierra and simply want to copy them to a folder I have.
Or as recently Apple is full of limitations with how things work, I wonder if the live photos format is limited to importing them with Apple's Photos app?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions on this.

Thanks!

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
When I use Dropbox to sync photos, it gives me a photo and a small video. This is on El Capitan, so maybe Sierra hides them both as a single file.

The Photos app keeps live photos and previews them when you mouse over the thumbnail. I have no idea where the originals are stored, as there is no "show in Finder" option. Exporting the unmodified original also makes two files, same as Dropbox. Can you export a live photo from Photos and see if you get a single file under Sierra? Preview should be able to show the live photo.

Image Capture doesn't see my iPhone for some Apple reason, but it should be possible for you to import a sample photo and see if it is live. Unless they are "gently" encouraging everyone to drop Image Capture and use Photos instead.

If Image Capture doesn't work, you will need to import using Photos and then export the photos to a folder, possibly deleting them in Photos afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.