Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
I wanted to try out the Live Text feature on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and started the camera app and pointed the phone to at a paper with text. But the live text icon do not show up on the screen. Does this feature only be able to use in U.S? I live in Sweden.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It is not location dependent. It is bugged, there are loads of posts about this already. Just report it and wait for the next beta.

Reactions: lifeform

lifeform

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
The strangest thing:

I had to reset my phone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) for some reason. That will say a complete Reset of the whole phone, but after first then installing IOS 14.7, then doing the Beta upgrade to IOS 15, the brilliant OCR Live Text feature seems to have been deactivated.

Doesnt work in Camera, and doesnt work in Photos. Nor does it show up as a choice under "Camera" in Settings.

In General it now just stands "IOS 15" and nothing about Beta 5, 6 or similiar, so this might be it?

But how - if possible to get this brilliant feature working again?

I am forced into a stupid Windows-computer here at work so I use it a lot to snap up and call phone numbers on my monitors.

MoxFulder

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Still works fine here on my iPhone 11 Pro.

The bit about settings > general was always like this, only ever said "iOS 15.0" and nothing about beta.

As for getting back the feature: I'd try to reset settings to see if that helps.

Reactions: lifeform

lifeform

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
Still works fine here on my iPhone 11 Pro.

The bit about settings > general was always like this, only ever said "iOS 15.0" and nothing about beta.

As for getting back the feature: I'd try to reset settings to see if that helps.
I dont even has it as an option under Settings for the Camera-app..!! How would resetting settings at all work with this...?

I did this btw with some other buggy issues earlier this year, and then I lost all my Wifi-settings ++ so I really dont want to do that, but I earlier today, like I wrote Hardreset and emptied the whole phone via a Windows-computer.

Then installed 14.7, then Public beta 6.

OK (to the "About"-version) :)

Last edited:

lifeform

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
Heres my Settings for the Camera-app (in Norwegian)

Attachments

• 779D1826-FA2B-4AAB-8592-8CAD5C79E79E.jpeg
    779D1826-FA2B-4AAB-8592-8CAD5C79E79E.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 93

lifeform

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
Update on this: Got an error / bug with this also on my Iphone 11 pro max in the Public 6 beta.

Appleuser823

Suspended
Aug 15, 2021
I don’t have live text or visual lookup on my iPhone 12 mini. I’m on B7… I live in Norway is that the reason? Only available in USA?

Appleuser823

Suspended
Aug 15, 2021
As noted in many other threads, only US at the moment.
Actually where is all this other threads about its only US? I’ve searched and only a couple of threads (one with you also commenting on its in many other threads) with no indication this is US only… DuckDuckGo also has no results of this being a US only feature.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Actually where is all this other threads about its only US? I’ve searched and only a couple of threads (one with you also commenting on its in many other threads) with no indication this is US only… DuckDuckGo also has no results of this being a US only feature.

In all of the various beta threads for iOS 15 within this very forum.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Lol is anything actually shipping with iOS 15

This feature at least, is coming for US. Whether the 3rd world (anywhere outside of America according to Apple it would seem) gets it at launch is anyones guess! This really is iOS 14.5 IMO.

lifeform

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
Hi.... Still error with this after updating to IOS 15 Public 7 Beta.

Any ideas ??

Was a very nice feature this, since I use it to scan up phone numbers from the ****** Windows-computer ++

lifeform

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
Hi.... Still error with this after updating to IOS 15 Public 7 Beta.

Any ideas ??

Was a very nice feature this, since I use it to scan up phone numbers from the ****** Windows-computer ++

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Live text works in Australia so I dunno why your phone does not support it somehow. Apparently visual lookup does not work on iPad.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
Did you check the settings under language and region?

Maybe they are turning it on server side slowly?
I went into language and region in the settings and saw that the Live text was not enabled. I didn't know that I needed to enable this feature. Many thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.