Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
My Iphone 5s is toast due to water damage. I have a older, working Iphone 3 that I want to use until I can purchase a used Iphone 5s. I have restored the Iphone 3 back to factory settings and set it up as new. Now I want to load a recent backup from my Iphone 5s unto the Iphone 3 ( if possible)! Itunes gives me a error message telling me to "update to the latest version of IOS before it can be restored from this backup". I would have thought that would have been done when I restored the phone to factory settings! Checking for a software update tells me that everything is up to date. What am I doing wrong?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My Iphone 5s is toast due to water damage. I have a older, working Iphone 3 that I want to use until I can purchase a used Iphone 5s. I have restored the Iphone 3 back to factory settings and set it up as new. Now I want to load a recent backup from my Iphone 5s unto the Iphone 3 ( if possible)! Itunes gives me a error message telling me to "update to the latest version of IOS before it can be restored from this backup". I would have thought that would have been done when I restored the phone to factory settings! Checking for a software update tells me that everything is up to date. What am I doing wrong?
Your iPhone 3(G?) likely can't run the iOS version that you had on your iPhone 5s where the backup was made.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Thats what I thought. Next question, how can I transfer some of the info from the Iphone 5 to the Iphone 3. Such as my contacts and apps. Pictures and music I have in the cloud; no problem there.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You can sync your contacts via iCloud (assuming you own a Mac), but the apps will probably have to be downloaded again from the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.