Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Can any content (files, videos, etc.) be loaded onto Vision Pro without having the device on your face? Can I just set this up, plug it in, and let it do its thing?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The first question to ask is what applications are you using? Without the developer headband the only way to get things onto the VP right now is if the app you are using supports transfers. Examples include Files, Lightroom, Apple TV, Photos, etc.

Some things stop, such as taking a video, when you take off the headset. Unsure how that affects other apps.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
The first question to ask is what applications are you using? Without the developer headband the only way to get things onto the VP right now is if the app you are using supports transfers. Examples include Files, Lightroom, Apple TV, Photos, etc.

Some things stop, such as taking a video, when you take off the headset. Unsure how that affects other apps.

I use iCloud files. If there are any files that I want to make accessible from my Vision Pro I copy them to the appropriate iCloud folder on my MacBook Pro and there they are. I used this method to load the OpenVpn client configuration file so I could configure OpenVPN to allow me to connect to my VPN at the office to be able to use the Jump RDP client to connect to and control my Office PC (you’ll want a keyboard and Magic Trackpad in order for it to be useful on the AVP) and since I keep important documents in iCloud in addition to making sure I back them up locally using another solution in case I delete something by mistake or make edits I want to roll back a few months later for whatever reason all of my important documents are already accessible for me as well. The one thing I haven’t tried is that I keep the really important stuff in an encrypted password protected DMG file in iCloud Drive that way if my account were ever compromised there’d be an additional layer of protection somebody would have to get through to get to important financial data and I have no idea if the AVP allows me to open an encrypted, password protected DMG file located in it so I could make changes to those documents and close / save that DMG file when I’m done but since I don’t plan on using the AVP to view or edit that data I don’t personally care if that functionality isn’t there.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Thanks for your replies — sorry I wasn’t more specific. I was basically wondering if any content can be loaded onto the AVP without wearing the device — similar to what you can do with the AW through the Watch app. Utilizing iCloud files on my Mac desktop will work great, but for more basic uses — TV+ programs, photos, etc. — can I get this content on device while it’s charging and not being used?

Reactions: G5isAlive

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks for your replies — sorry I wasn’t more specific. I was basically wondering if any content can be loaded onto the AVP without wearing the device — similar to what you can do with the AW through the Watch app. Utilizing iCloud files on my Mac desktop will work great, but for more basic uses — TV+ programs, photos, etc. — can I get this content on device while it’s charging and not being used?
iCloud stuff will sync in the background if it is plugged in and connected to WiFi. But you can’t, for example, select a particular file and send it to the AVP.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes, surferfb is correct. You must initiate the file transfer in the Files app on the VP and once started it will continue in the background until completed even if you remove the VP.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.