Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, I unfortunately tested this site on a PC and boy, how stupid was that.

http://itasor.com/spp

Click STORE. Can't figure out why the big 'ol image on the left there doesn't load in IE for PC or Mac. It's an image map, but so is the header of every page.

Yes, I know the top image map/header has a border around it, in Safari it doesn't.

I tried to be nice and use all the correct HTML and stuff...and I check it over and tried all kinds of stuff. In safari, the site looks fine. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?

Also, how would I make the top image TOUCH the table below it? In Safari, it just does, but it M$s' crap browser it puts a gap there. Yes, I'm mad about this, I can't figure it out...it's just an image, why would it load in one browser and not another?!

All help is super greatly appreciated!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Scratch the major question there, when I made this image, I must have cheated and did CMD SHIFT 4 and then saved it and used that as the image, converting it to GIF wrong. At least that's my GUESS. Why I would do that I have no clue, but I tend to do that for testing.

Question about the imagemap/table touching is still valid. I remember I used to have to use some <p> code combination....ideas?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
IE will sometimes put in visible line breaks in a page where you have line breaks in your code - it's retarded, but that's IE for you.

Just clean up your HTML like I did here and you'll be set.

You should also take a look at the HTML validation service by the W3C to check for errors there before doing too much work chasing down browser-specific errors. Your results

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Rower_CPU said:
IE will sometimes put in visible line breaks in a page where you have line breaks in your code - it's retarded, but that's IE for you.

Just clean up your HTML like I did here and you'll be set.

You should also take a look at the HTML validation service by the W3C to check for errors there before doing too much work chasing down browser-specific errors. Your results

Ooooo Thanks so much! I know about W3 Validator....I was going to get to that, thanks though.

Thanks for cleaning up the code, but can you tell me what you cleaned up so I can do it to the other pages? I'm also just curious!

IE stinks. :(

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I just compared sources, and I see that you took out the returns that I did every so often, especially with that crazy image map.

You mean IE puts line breaks where there's no <br /> but just a return in the actual code? That's extremely stupid. I don't have a PC right now, but does the way you cleaned the code get rid of the gap in IE?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Hmm. I can't add the space because my top image isn't in a table, it's just there. I wonder if I should put it there. I didn't put it in a table because when I do that that usually makes the gap appear. So, this time I decided not to put the image at the top in a table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.