Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaZzMaN251

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Apple Order Status page
Today I tested the new Reminders app with its location based reminders.
The reminders aren't very accurate.
I set one up to alert me when I left my home. It wasn't untill I was driving 6-7 kilometres when I received an alert. The same happens when I set a Reminder 'when arriving'. It's either way too early (arriving) or way too late (leaving).

I've searched some feedback on this feature around the internet, and found some of the people talking about 'got an alert when taking a few steps out of my home'.

Any other experiences on this one?

Btw, I more or less know how the app works (cell tower location etc.), but still, this seems to be not so usefull if you don't travel more than 10-15km...
In my town, the grocery store for example is 1km away...

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My arriving reminders are very accurate and not too early, but my leaving reminders have been very delayed.

I set a reminder for fun to Remind me if I locked the front door when I left, it doesn't notify me until I am like 1/2-3/4 of a mile away from my house.

Hopefully it will improve with time.

French

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
I was a little annoyed that my reminder to call my husband when I got to work today didn't alert me when I pulled into the parking lot...however when I pulled my phone out of my bag upon getting to my desk there it was and it occurred to me that if the alert happens when I literally get to work (i.e. my desk) I can live with that. Hmmm...wonder how leaving work would do...

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Trouble is, making it too accurate will completely kill your battery life from constantly hammering the GPS. Looking for large changes in location is much more power-friendly. But the side-effect will be accuracy measured in the 1/2 km.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
London
does it have to be an actual address?
i went on maps and selected a reminder to happen when i got to a lake but it never worked

JaZzMaN251

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Apple Order Status page
My arriving reminders are very accurate and not too early, but my leaving reminders have been very delayed.

I set a reminder for fun to Remind me if I locked the front door when I left, it doesn't notify me until I am like 1/2-3/4 of a mile away from my house.

Hopefully it will improve with time.

1/2-3/4 mile is workable... 5-6 kilomtres (about 3-4 miles) is not practical.

I don't really see how this can improve with time, since the app gets it's location based on cell towers, I was told?

Thanks for your reply.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
1/2-3/4 mile is workable... 5-6 kilomtres (about 3-4 miles) is not practical.

I don't really see how this can improve with time, since the app gets it's location based on cell towers, I was told?

Thanks for your reply.

I meant that I hope Apple will tweak the app to be more accruate and use the gps in a way that it will not affect the battery.

zygomatic

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
easy fix

If it would take too much battery to constantly use gps, wouldn't the easy fix be using the gps only when your near your target area. As an example, lets say you are within half a mile of your target area. Then maybe the gps can kick in and get more accuracy. I can think of a lot of reasons why one would need this. As a delivery person, it would be highly useful to be reminded to do something at a particular house, not another house 3 blocks away!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If it would take too much battery to constantly use gps, wouldn't the easy fix be using the gps only when your near your target area. As an example, lets say you are within half a mile of your target area. Then maybe the gps can kick in and get more accuracy. I can think of a lot of reasons why one would need this. As a delivery person, it would be highly useful to be reminded to do something at a particular house, not another house 3 blocks away!
How would the device know you are close without using GPS to begin with?

That said, I believe since iOS 6 at least (and certainly by iOS 7 now) the background location use is much better on the battery than before.

kingdomkids

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Here is an idea. How about the idevice knows your home wifi. When you break contact with the wifi it assumes you have left and triggers the reminder. Very accurate and close to home. Maybe something like assigning you wifi network to your "me" contact in contacts. A simple field addition. Does not seem like it could drain that much battery that way. thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.