Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I believe it has to in order for geofenced reminders to work.

I suspect that's true and a change then with iOS 7. I can't help but think this is unintended. If this is by design, then I'd like to understand the reasoning for it.

A geofenced reminder should run in the background just like calendar, clock, phone, messages, etc run resident; and just like a reminder does when based on a time.

If I tell Siri to remind me of something when I arrive at a location and she confirms my request, then I shouldn't have to launch Reminders so that it works.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I suspect that's true and a change then with iOS 7. I can't help but think this is unintended. If this is by design, then I'd like to understand the reasoning for it.

A geofenced reminder should run in the background just like calendar, clock, phone, messages, etc run resident; and just like a reminder does when based on a time.

If I tell Siri to remind me of something when I arrive at a location and she confirms my request, then I shouldn't have to launch Reminders so that it works.

Agreed. VERY lame that the app has to be running to work.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

I agree I think it's a bug. Hopefully developers and testers provided Apple with feedback on it so it can be fixed.

You also bring up an interesting point about Siri. I just removed reminders from the multitasking pane and then asked Siri to remind me when I get to work, and Reminders remained off; when I went into multitasking it still wasn't there and the hollow gps arrow never showed up. Which means even though Siri said that it would remind me, it won't as the app isn't running and Siri didn't launch it in the background. So this is definitely another aspect of this bug.

I'm actually driving to work in a bit and I'm going to test this again just to make sure.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
As suspected, the reminder never went off when I got into work. :cool:

Background App Refresh is ON, reminders app removed from multitask screen, added location based reminder via Siri and it confirmed that it will remind me when I get to work. And it failed. Can't believe this slipped through beta testing.

Fix: Just make sure Reminders app stays running in the background.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
As suspected, the reminder never went off when I got into work. :cool:

Background App Refresh is ON, reminders app removed from multitask screen, added location based reminder via Siri and it confirmed that it will remind me when I get to work. And it failed. Can't believe this slipped through beta testing.

Fix: Just make sure Reminders app stays running in the background.

Thank you. At least we have a work-around if this is unintended, and if by design we know how we must adjust our habit. If the latter I'm interested in understanding the reasoning.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I guess another habit to get into wrt to location based reminders, once you've set the reminder (either manually or via Siri) if the hollow gps arrow doesn't appear on the top then you know something is wrong.

ZAZ210

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Solution

Solution: Navigate to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location &Privacy.

After resetting location & privacy, ask Siri to remind you to do something when you arrive to (or leave from) a known location. Siri will ask you to give her permission to access your location. Once you have done so, ask Siri to remind you to do something when you arrive to (or leave from) a known location. Siri will then ask you to allow reminders to access your location. Once you have done so, location based reminders should work.

Reminders does not need to be open to get alerts. :apple:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Same here it only works for me if i leave the reminder app open in the background... It worked flawlessly on ios6... I hope they fix it on 7.0.3

yewnix

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
fingers crossed

Solution: Navigate to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location &Privacy

hi this sounded good as i may have cranked down settings too much when first setting up phone. siri and maps asked me for location but so did reminders app so it's very possible i had denied that when setting up 5s too.

will report back once i go to another location to verify!

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
This is pretty weak that Apple did this if it was intentional. I could not find anything in the manual or any support articles on apple.com that stated the app needs to run in the background for location reminders to work. Hopefully it's a glitch but if not, bad on Apple for not educating us users how to actually use this service. I reported it as a big to Apple and suggest everyone else should too.

Puponautas

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Any feedbacks? Won't be able to use my iPhone for week so can't test it.Furthermore, saw that Reminders got removed from background refresh at settings.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Location based reminders not working for iOS 7?

I don't know if this was resolved with 7.1 but it works fine for me without reminders running in the background.

Here is a screen shot. It's difficult to see but tapatalk is the only app I have running but if you zoom in you can see the GPS geofence icon due to a location based reminder.

ehe6upat.jpg

It also works with FmF. If someone geofences me (to know I'm leaving or arriving) I'll see the geofence icon appear without me having FmF app open.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't know if this was resolved with 7.1 but it works fine for me without reminders running in the background.

Here is a screen shot. It's difficult to see but tapatalk is the only app I have running but if you zoom in you can see the GPS geofence icon due to a location based reminder.

It also works with FmF. If someone geofences me (to know I'm leaving or arriving) I'll see the geofence icon appear without me having FmF app open.
Yeah, 7.1 resolved an issue that was in 7.0 relating to all of this.

yewnix

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Fix

App does not need to be running but background app refresh must be enabled, even if no apps are using it, it would seem that apple doesn't put themselves in the menu so it's all or nothing.

This definitely works because I had bought Checkmark 2 hoping to geofence with that and their support told me the above and then both apple reminders and CM2 location fences work flawlessly every time.

:apple:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Is the badge showing up for anyone?

This isn't a location-related issue with Reminders but I thought I'd ask since it's still pertinent.

In Reminders, I get the timed reminder to show up in notifications and everything seems to be working great except I never get the red badge on the app icon that shows the number of over-due reminders, which is something I've come to rely on. I've checked all my settings and even recycled them and still no badge showing up.

Doing a search I've come across numerous threads on the topic on Apple Support forums as well as this thread on MR and while it describes the bug perfectly it's for iOS6, whereas I'm running 7.1. Can't believe the bug is still here since iOS6. The workaround does work but it's cumbersome to get the badge to show.

Wish there was a way to fix this.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Reminders are not working for me at all. I set 2 reminders yesterday to remind me last night and next week. I just remembered this morning that the one for last night never went off. I looked and the date was gone. The one for next week also had the date missing. I set the date again and it showed up for a couple seconds and as I watched the screen, the date went away. I have something scheduled in my calendar for this afternoon so hopefully they will work there. Anyone had this issue not related to location?

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Was having the same issue with my iPhone and iOS8.1.

I couldn't get Reminders to set a location based notification like "remind me when I get home from work to start banging head against kitchen counter top".

Went looking thru many threads and couldn't find a solution.

Ended up fixing it by trial and error.

If you ar heaving this issues, make sure that you have "Location-Based Alerts" turned on under System Services, under Privacy.

That fixed my issue. Now I bang head on kitchen counter top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.