Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dephanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I notice in 7.1 location services are allowed on even when an app is forced closed. I've noticed Nike Move is a culprit but when I turn that app off I still get the outline of an arrow which is Find My Friends. I want to allow that app. I'm wondering will it use more or the same amount of battery with Nike Move enabled as well? I.e do they all use the same data so I could potentially have 100 apps using location services and it wouldn't use any more battery than if I only had 1 app using location services?

I'm confusing myself writing this post but hope someone understands! :D

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
For me it is the outlined arrow for Geofencing.

This is on Find my friends and never shuts off.

Sounds like it is just trying to learn my habits.

Will it stop soon and is it wasting battery?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I think Apple made a change allowing apps to receive location data even when they aren't running in the background. This is useful for activity trackers like Nike Move so that they will continue to function correctly even after the OS kills them. I think Apple needs to do a better job of distinguishing between when apps that want specific location, general location (i.e. no need for GPS), and motion data (i.e. data from the M7, which is always running anyway).

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
For me it's Google Now and Yahoo Weather that are doing this. Under settings>restrictions>location services look for apps with the purple arrow next to them and try turning them off and see if the notification icon goes away. Then at least you'll know who the culprit is.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I posted about this yesterday as well. My culprit app was the apple App Store. I just have it shut off in settings and the location icon finally went away.

----------

I think Apple made a change allowing apps to receive location data even when they aren't running in the background. This is useful for activity trackers like Nike Move so that they will continue to function correctly even after the OS kills them. I think Apple needs to do a better job of distinguishing between when apps that want specific location, general location (i.e. no need for GPS), and motion data (i.e. data from the M7, which is always running anyway).

Apple definitely made some changes but the odd thing is my air doesn't perform this way under 7.1 and it almost mirrors the exact same apps as my phone.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I posted about this yesterday as well. My culprit app was the apple App Store. I just have it shut off in settings and the location icon finally went away.

----------

Apple definitely made some changes but the odd thing is my air doesn't perform this way under 7.1 and it almost mirrors the exact same apps as my phone.

I shut off the App Store yesterday but the Arrow outline(not full GPS) still always appears next to the battery unless I turn off location services for Find My Friends.

My phone has been unplugged for 5 hours and this hasn't shut off yet.

My phone is also a 5S.

My wife has a 5 and hers has never turned on even though our settings are exactly the same.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I shut off the App Store yesterday but the Arrow outline(not full GPS) still always appears next to the battery unless I turn off location services for Find My Friends.

My phone is also a 5S.

My wife has a 5 and hers has never turned on even though our setting are exactly the same.

Is background app refresh turned on for Find My Friends on both of your phones?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

My phone is also a 5S.

My wife has a 5 and hers has never turned on even though our settings are exactly the same.

Yeah I can't explain it either there are two iPhone 5 phones in my house and they both act very different when it comes to location services.

Here is what helped for me
ugehe5yp.jpg

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I can't explain it either there are two iPhone 5 phones in my house and they both act very different when it comes to location services.

Here is what helped for me

The other main setting to look at now is Background App Refresh, under General. In iOS 7.1, apps that use your location in the background do not stop once the app is killed if they are switched on under background app refresh. You'll need to turn off background app refresh for that app to get the arrow to disappear.

If you do that, it will only actively use your location when you have the app open. Then, if you quit it from multitasking, it will stop pinging your location and the arrow will disappear.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
The other main setting to look at now is Background App Refresh, under General. In iOS 7.1, apps that use your location in the background do not stop once the app is killed if they are switched on under background app refresh. You'll need to turn off background app refresh for that app to get the arrow to disappear.

If you do that, it will only actively use your location when you have the app open. Then, if you quit it from multitasking, it will stop pinging your location and the arrow will disappear.

Yes... This did it for me.

Thank you

Dephanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012

But for example will this also turn off M7 monitoring my walking etc on Nike Move?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
But for example will this also turn off M7 monitoring my walking etc on Nike Move?

No, it does not turn it off. The M7 stores all of this information, even if you don't have any of these motion tracking apps installed. When you open the app, your data will be loaded. You could delete the app for 3 days, and redownload then, and all of your data from the past three days will be back logged.

Works fine. I've been doing this since early in the iOS 7 betas and have had background app refresh turned off for these apps (Nike+ Move included), and it works fine. When I open the app, it loads up all my points from the day.

icloud87

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2014
so how to setup that ... anyone show me how ...

my icon location service keep on , i have to turn off all location ,,,

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
so how to setup that ... anyone show me how ...

my icon location service keep on , i have to turn off all location ,,,
As mentioned before, look through location settings and/or background refresh to see what's using the location services and then check that app or service and see why it's doing it and perhaps change it if you want so that it doesn't do it (or disable the location and/or background refresh specifically for that particular app or service).

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I meant to say apple store app was my problem not apple app store ha.

And yes this helped me out yesterday and is really thr only thing that shuts the icon off
As mentioned before, look through location settings and/or background refresh to see what's using the location services and then check that app or service and see why it's doing it and perhaps change it if you want so that it doesn't do it (or disable the location and/or background refresh specifically for that particular app or service).

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
The location service is working as expected. If you close out apps that have geo-fencing then it won't know to update the app properly when in range. Apple fixed it just for iOS 7.1

icloud87

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2014

i still don't get it .. can someone show me step by step how to get there .. such as

-General
-Setting
next >>>

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i still don't get it .. can someone show me step by step how to get there .. such as

-General
-Setting
next >>>

Settings, General, Background App Refresh. Turn off apps that track your location constantly, such as Nike+ Move, Apple Store App, etc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

-General
-Setting
next >>>
You seem to make threads and posts with all kinds of statements about potential iOS and other Apple issues but don't even know be basics of where different settings are or what they relate to?

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I experienced this problem after upgrading to iOS 7.1 with my running app of choice, Runmeter.

I couldn't believe this was intentional behavior, Background Refresh setting or not.

Sure enough, a few hours later, there was a Runmeter update released that fixed the issue...all without me having to turn off Background Refresh in Settings.

I'm sure there was some slight backgrounding API change in 7.1 that causes this problem with some apps.

UPDATE: I lied. It's happening again with Runmeter. I can't imagine it's by design to have any app that uses GPS to continually use it in the background when not needed (read: exercise apps).

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Just too let you all know...the App that was causing my Location Service Arrow always being on was the “Apple Store” App. So I just turned it off and BAM the arrow was gone.

I never used that app at all anyway, so it is really no loss to me.

Also, I got rid of “Shazam” which is also using the location services app, as I do not use “Shazam” anymore so, once again no loss to me.

Have a good day/night wherever you are!!! God Bless!

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Location services always on (Find My Friends, Nike+ Move)

Services that use iBeacon also use location services. That is why the Apple Store app is using location services in the background even after it's closed. If you disable iBeacon in the app, the geofence icon will go away. Also, if you turn off Bluetooth, it will also eliminate the geofence icon.

This will shed some light on iBeacon and iOS 7.1.
http://beekn.net/2014/03/apple-ios-7-1-launches-major-ibeacon-improvement/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.