Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I noticed if the Weather app on the iPhone is set to the current location, and a weather complication is set on the watch, location services is constantly on the iPhone, which causes the iPhone to always be warm (obviously some battery drain as well).

I had a Series 2 AW, and the fix was to add the city, then select this rather than the current location. Location would then pop up when using weather, then go.

With the Series 3, this doesn't happen and I have to set location to never (for the weather app) and then add a city.

The phone isn't warm anymore, and the Watch battery lasts longer.

Both only reset a few days ago (restored, without backup) so I suspect this happens to everyone.

Hope this helps someone :)

Reactions: fauxtog

NoelWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2021
I have this exact problem and I have to also turn location service for the weather app off as well. This occurs with the clock app as well. Kinda annoying to be frank. I don’t remember this happening before iOS 15.3.

Reactions: honglong1976

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I have this exact problem and I have to also turn location service for the weather app off as well. This occurs with the clock app as well. Kinda annoying to be frank. I don’t remember this happening before iOS 15.
Thinking about it, it may have only happened since 15.6 (it didn't happen with an SS S2 AW and 15.5).

At least there is a workaround, turn off location services for the weather and add the city manually.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
interesting. Thanks for sharing. I just checked and sure enough, Location Services is on for weather on my phone. Phone doesn't run hot, but the watch battery life could use a boost. I'll give it a shot & see if it helps

Reactions: honglong1976
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.