Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

germaocruz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
Hi,

Don’t know if someone has the same issue, but since iOS 13 I have always the location services icon on. It may be something related to the Apple Watch as when I take it out, the icon disappear.

It’s really annoying, anyone knows how to solve this?

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
It seems to be the weather complication on the watch causing this. If you remove it from your watch face, location services turns off

Day_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
It’s not the weather complication and there is another couple of topics on this. I have turned Bluetooth off and disconnected my Apple Watch and the issue still persists.

Seen weather mentioned a few times from a Reddit post but that’s not the issue for several people

bdemirdover

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2018
This fixed the issue for me as well.
Can you please explain? What is weather complication?

I can confirm that my issue related to location srvices remains on 13.1.2. Location services arrow keeps appearing on status bar but at the menu i cannot see anything actually using location data at that exact time. And i can feel that it drains battery.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can you please explain? What is weather complication?

I can confirm that my issue related to location srvices remains on 13.1.2. Location services arrow keeps appearing on status bar but at the menu i cannot see anything actually using location data at that exact time. And i can feel that it drains battery.
When you have one of the different weather icons on your Apple Watch face. Whether its temperature, or weather conditions.

bdemirdover

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2018
When you have one of the different weather icons on your Apple Watch face. Whether its temperature, or weather conditions.
I do not have apple watch. That means my issue is related to something else. Thanks for the explanation btw.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I do not have apple watch. That means my issue is related to something else. Thanks for the explanation btw.
Have you turned off frequent/significant locations? Thats usually the root cause of location service arrow not going away.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
No Apple Watch, weather location set to never for weather app but issue remained!
Have deleted the weather app all together now and seems like issue is gone.

app was not accurate for me anyway so wont miss much.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
For me it’s not the weather complication but the weather being set to „when the app is in use“ on the iPhone itself. As soon as I set it to never, the location icon goes away

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
For me it’s not the weather complication but the weather being set to „when the app is in use“ on the iPhone itself. As soon as I set it to never, the location icon goes away

...yea, I'm also getting the same exact issue?!

Since iOS 13, I am constantly seeing this icon in the status bar:

1569919091156.png

Its ALWAYS there and has only been ALWAYS there since iO13 (and I'm actually using iOS 13.1.1).

I checked in the Location services under Privacy, and figured out it was the native Weather app causing this :

1569919205173.png

When I turn this off, and I check the weather app on my Apple Watch, I get a notification asking me if I want to allow the Weather app to use my Location. Even when selecting the 'Whilst Using app' option, the icon seems to stay in the status bar of the phone?!

This never happened before - is this a bug in iOS13?

bdemirdover

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2018
Solution that worked for me is:

According to recommendation of a friend in this forum, i backed up my iphone to icloud and reset and erased all settings and content. Then made a fresh install. After that let all icloud data to be synced with phone. It seems like this solved my problem with location to be on every 5-10 minutes without any reason.

germaocruz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
...yea, I'm also getting the same exact issue?!

Since iOS 13, I am constantly seeing this icon in the status bar:

View attachment 865367

Its ALWAYS there and has only been ALWAYS there since iO13 (and I'm actually using iOS 13.1.1).

I checked in the Location services under Privacy, and figured out it was the native Weather app causing this :

View attachment 865369

When I turn this off, and I check the weather app on my Apple Watch, I get a notification asking me if I want to allow the Weather app to use my Location. Even when selecting the 'Whilst Using app' option, the icon seems to stay in the status bar of the phone?!

This never happened before - is this a bug in iOS13?

Yeap, that’s the issue

Reactions: Dino F

germaocruz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
Solution that worked for me is:

According to recommendation of a friend in this forum, i backed up my iphone to icloud and reset and erased all settings and content. Then made a fresh install. After that let all icloud data to be synced with phone. It seems like this solved my problem with location to be on every 5-10 minutes without any reason.

Do you have an Apple Watch too?

Ferrd

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
For me, it's 100% related to the watch. I stopped using the weather complication; and the location services icon no longer stays lit up on my iPhone. Yesterday's patches did not fix the issue either.

• Sad
Reactions: Dino F

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I’ve resorted to setting the location of the weather app to ‘Never’ - it’s made the location arrow disappear from my iPhone. Not a great solution unfortunately?

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
As annoying as it is, I like having the weather complication on my watch, so I put it back a couple of days ago and I don't see any difference in battery life, so I will keep it as it is.

germaocruz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
I had to set the location to never also and that’s the only way I found to sort this. I like the weather complication as well but the arrow permanently annoys me

Madonnnaaaaaaaaa

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2015
Having the same issue as well. Location arrow permanently showing in the icons bar at the top. I’ve reset location settings, that worked until I opened apps on the phone and now it’s back again and won’t go away

Update. Uninstalled yahoo weather app. It’s now gone!

bdemirdover

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2018
Anybody who found a solution to this issue? It is so annoying. And it affects battery life as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.