Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I have an app for a fast food restaurant that I use sometimes. I noticed that any time I get close to the restaurant, I get a notofication welcoming me. The app is not open or open in the background. Plus I have set the location services to allow the app to know my location only when I’m using the app. So how does it know I’m near if I haven’t opened the app? I could also turn off the notifications so it’s not bothering me. But I don’t think it should be sending me notifications in the first place. How it it bypassing the location settings? I have the latest iOS 11.4 on my iPhone X.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Couple of WAGs.

1) Does the fast food app have Wallet support (ie. payment card, loyalty card)? If so, that's maybe why. For example, the Kroger app has ability to add the loyalty card to Wallet. Privacy/GPS settings for the app for me is "While Using", but anytime I'm near the Kroger (and the app is not in the switcher), it suggests it on the lock screen. Ditto for Starbucks, where there is a location a couple of hundred yards further down the road, and will see both cards on the lock screen at the same time.

Go to Wallet, tap the card, tap the Info circle, toggle off "Suggest on Lock Screen".

2) "While using" is a bit misleading:

Some apps will ask to use your location only while the app is in use. An app is considered "in use" when you're actively using it in the foreground, or when it's in use in the background, which the status bar will indicate.

So if brought up the app and it's idling, this could be why.

3) And then again, might be something corrupt, running amok. Can reset your location settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.