Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chis2busy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Hello dear coomunity.
I own an iphone 5 and used to be on ios 7.0.4 and last week i upgraded to ios 7.1.

i almost immediately noticed that anything that uses location services on ios 7.1 DECIMATES battery life.i mean honorificly .i used sygic gps navigation app on 7.0.4 and managed a 3,5 hour trip on a single battery charge.now i use it for 15 minutes and i lose 20% , while i also have to force quit the app, around that time because the phone gets so excessively hot, it almost gets too hot to hold.

I also see a huge difference in battery life if i disable location services alltogether (even though none of my apps uses location on the background).

side notes:
the results were the same even after 2 itunes full restores and i have disabled the "background app refresh option", no push mail, and other battery hogging settings.

Please help, with just this update, my phone experiences has plummeted to barely functional for my every day trips.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My i5 performed much better on 7.0.4 than 7.1, although the battery life has always been terrible with iOS7. No amount of clean installs have made any difference, so I'm waiting for 7.1.1

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
Hello dear coomunity.
I own an iphone 5 and used to be on ios 7.0.4 and last week i upgraded to ios 7.1.

i almost immediately noticed that anything that uses location services on ios 7.1 DECIMATES battery life.i mean honorificly .i used sygic gps navigation app on 7.0.4 and managed a 3,5 hour trip on a single battery charge.now i use it for 15 minutes and i lose 20% , while i also have to force quit the app, around that time because the phone gets so excessively hot, it almost gets too hot to hold.

I also see a huge difference in battery life if i disable location services alltogether (even though none of my apps uses location on the background).

side notes:
the results were the same even after 2 itunes full restores and i have disabled the "background app refresh option", no push mail, and other battery hogging settings.

Please help, with just this update, my phone experiences has plummeted to barely functional for my every day trips.

Any improvement update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.