Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
It is like this since iOS 16.0 beta 2, so I really think this is by design. The swipe up from top of the screen just bring the Lock Screen, without the Notification Center, but without locking the phone too. Dumb.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You know what’s fascinating? (To me anyway…) The swipe up action on the Lock Screen to show the Notification Center was a thing in iOS 14 & 15 too, but I never knew that. I was always in the habit of doing the top-left swipe down to get to my Notification Center.

Maybe this is why some people don’t think it’s a big deal…perhaps they were already in the habit of swiping up for the Notification Center.

• Haha
Reactions: FitzZic and AMTYVLE

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
It's so stupid. Time-sensitive notifications remain on notification center, but who decides what's time-sensitive? Why is a voicemail notification offering me a $250k business loan or to extend my expired car warranty important....yet notifications about motion on security cameras and a pic of a guy with a crowbar at the door disappears into the notification center mystery void?

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
You know what’s fascinating? (To me anyway…) The swipe up action on the Lock Screen to show the Notification Center was a thing in iOS 14 & 15 too, but I never knew that. I was always in the habit of doing the top-left swipe down to get to my Notification Center.

Maybe this is why some people don’t think it’s a big deal…perhaps they were already in the habit of swiping up for the Notification Center.
Exactly. Apple suggests to make "discoverable UX" in his Developers document, but does not apply to their UI.
In any case, I participate in several threads about this on Reddit, and here is the result:

- a large portion does care, like us;
- another large portion don't understand at all and suggest to switch to "List" mode and insult you to be stupid (even if they don't understand correctly the problem);
- another large portion like it that way, because "they prefer to see their girlfriend than notifications as a screensaver".

I'm very astonished because since I switched to iPhone from Android, I was very happy of how the UX is carefully crafted. But with this subject, I'm very surprised...

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
A quick update here: the new iOS 16.1 Public Beta 4 does not address the issue of Notification Centre always hidden.
I don't think I will bump again this thread at Beta 5, as it's clear now that they will not fix it, it's working as (they) intended, and I don't want to bother all MacRumors forumers who received new messages by mail.

• Sad
Reactions: decypher44

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I can’t stand the new notification system.

Almost every time I swipe up from the bottom there are a dozen HIDDEN notifications that I have zero knowledge they existed.

With an always on display why is there a need to auto-hide notifications. To keep waking the phone to see my notifications is madness.

At least when it hides them there should be some indication of how many hidden notifications are there.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

That's existed since iOS 11, it's the only way to pull up the old notifications on the lock screen. It's still a very unintuitive and hard to discover gesture. It was tolerable when Notification Center didn't require it, but now it's just bad design.

Bad enough in fact that I'm wary of recommending iOS 16 because of this hidden gesture. I hope Apple fixes this.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Nothing has changed in the iOS 16.1 RC, btw.

I also just installed the iPadOS 16.1 RC on my iPad (upgrading from 15.7). Notifications work the same as before there. Old notifications are always visible on swipe down from the Home Screen. I knew the iPad wouldn't get the customizable Lock Screen or widgets, but figured everything else would behave the same as iOS. Nope, now we have a disparity between the two OSes in terms of the notification and Lock Screen behavior...
  • On iPad, ALL notifications are visible on swipe down; on iPhone, you need to swipe up to show old/hidden ones.
  • On iPad, the old style media control is shown on Lock Screen; on iPhone, you get the large album art.

Last edited:

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
A lot of people talks about this poor UX in Reddit, with the most upvoted threads in their subs (r/iphone, r/ios). I think what is missing to get a momentum around this situation is Macrumors or other medias talking about this.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
Is anyone having the problem that notifications “display as count” does not seem to do anything? Just changing the setting only apply to future lock screen notifications? (I have some notifications still displayed above the notification center.) iOS 16.1.1.

I’m coming to this the little late, but I skimmed through the thread and I don’t see anybody mentioning this.

EDIT: If anyone has this issue, "display as count" seems to work after a hard restart of iPhone.

Last edited:

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Just to let you know that the "Always hidden Notification Center" seems to be (sometimes?) fixed in iOS 16.1.1 even if nobody talked about it.

Now, when you unlock your phone, you will have a slightly additional vibration during the "swipe up to unlock", and when you swipe down from the top of the screen from Home Screen, boom, Notification Centre is here, with no additional steps.
BUT, it's not consistent, it is not doing this everytime (a rough 75% of positive here, maybe linked to how I make my gesture?). I think it's maybe a bug conflict between swipe up from center of the lockscreen and swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unlock.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
@FitzZic I noticed the (new?) haptic too when swiping up to show Notification Center. I think I had the bug, but didn't fully register it as "missing" in my mind.

Now the problem is "display as count" shows the count of notifications, but the most recent Reminders notification still appears on that screen! Oh, and now after changing the style to "List" I can't get "display as count" to work again. ==> Another hard restart fixed "display as count."

Maybe Notificaitons will get fix in 16.2, it's still broken for me on 16.1.1.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 128

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Just to let you know that the "Always hidden Notification Center" seems to be (sometimes?) fixed in iOS 16.1.1 even if nobody talked about it.

Now, when you unlock your phone, you will have a slightly additional vibration during the "swipe up to unlock", and when you swipe down from the top of the screen from Home Screen, boom, Notification Centre is here, with no additional steps.
BUT, it's not consistent, it is not doing this everytime (a rough 75% of positive here, maybe linked to how I make my gesture?). I think it's maybe a bug conflict between swipe up from center of the lockscreen and swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unlock.
I've got 6.1.1 and 6.2 installed on a couple devices, and haven't noticed any difference in how the Notification Center is shown. I still need to do the swipe up gesture to show the hidden Notification Center.

One thing to note though is that the Notification Center will remain visible if you have swiped up previously to show it during your "unlock session". So say you swipe up to show your Notification Center (and leave it shown)...do stuff in other apps...it'll continue showing every time you swipe down as long as you don't lock your phone or hide it again. Once you lock your phone, it gets hidden and you need to do the swipe up gesture again. It has always been this way and post #18 probably explained it better than I did. Could that be what's causing your inconsistent behavior?

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
I've got 6.1.1 and 6.2 installed on a couple devices, and haven't noticed any difference in how the Notification Center is shown. I still need to do the swipe up gesture to show the hidden Notification Center.

One thing to note though is that the Notification Center will remain visible if you have swiped up previously to show it during your "unlock session". So say you swipe up to show your Notification Center (and leave it shown)...do stuff in other apps...it'll continue showing every time you swipe down as long as you don't lock your phone or hide it again. Once you lock your phone, it gets hidden and you need to do the swipe up gesture again. It has always been this way and post #18 probably explained it better than I did. Could that be what's causing your inconsistent behavior?
Nope, this is the tested workflow:

- Phone is locked, screen is off
- Raising it (I use Raise to Wake), screen is on, FaceID doing its job, no notifications at all on the LockScreen
- Swiping up from the bottom bar to go to the Home Screen, a subtle vibration occured and I can see that the Notification Centre unhide at this precise moment from a few frame before the Home Screen unlock animation
- Swiping from top of the screen: Notification Center is already unhidden with few notifications.

But this does not occurs 100% of the time even if Notification Center has few notifications remaining in it. I really think it's a bug between the swipe up from the bottom bar to go to the Home Screen and the swipe up from the middle of the screen to open the Notification Centre. Both seems to be registered as user input, at the same time, in this case.

I did a intense lock/unlock test with a remaining notification in the Notification Centre, and I can reproduce it 1/3 of the time positively (Notification Centre auto-unhidden).
I'm sorry I can't do a video about this because if I launch a Recorded Screen session, the recording automatically ends when I lock the phone...

EDIT: In fact, if this "bug" was 100% reproductible, I will love how it acts 😅.

Reactions: iStorm

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
@FitzZic I noticed the (new?) haptic too when swiping up to show Notification Center. I think I had the bug, but didn't fully register it as "missing" in my mind.

Now the problem is "display as count" shows the count of notifications, but the most recent Reminders notification still appears on that screen! Oh, and now after changing the style to "List" I can't get "display as count" to work again. ==> Another hard restart fixed "display as count."

Maybe Notificaitons will get fix in 16.2, it's still broken for me on 16.1.1.
"Time Sensistive" Notification (as written in the Reminder notification at the top) bypass the "Count" mode and are always displayed as a List/Stack (and they do not quit the LockScreen even if you lock/unlock, for at least 1 hour).

Crystal21

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2021
My phone updated to iOS16 last night and I wish it hadn’t. Apple just seem to mess with things for no reason now. My WhatsApp notifications are now squashed at the bottom of the screen, leaving the rest of the screen as a big emptiness which looks stupid. Is there any way to move this back to the middle? I assume it’s all notifications, not just WhatsApp.

Also, the digit clock display now has big fat numbers which reminds me of my grandmother’s ’Doro’ phone designed for the elderly. Not all of us have vision problems. Is there any way to return it to the way it looked before?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What they said. List is as close as you will get due to everything pushed down for lock screen widgets.

Clock font: swipe down, press and hold the screen, then "Customize". Tap the lock screen image, tap time. You now can modify font, color, etc.

Reactions: Crystal21

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I am so annoyed at now in iOS16 having to swipe up in Notification Center just so I can view my notifications.

Surely there’s gotta be something bring back the classic style found in iOS 15 and iOS 14

It’s an extra unnecessary step just to access my notifications.

Attached is a photo:

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Did Apple really move lock screen notifications to the bottom of the screen and not give us the option to put them back at the top? Did no one consider that some people use a sleeve rather than a case, and that they just push the top inch out in order to see notifications/previews without unsheathing the whole handset? Did Apple just add friction to the user experience again? Say it ain’t so…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.