Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Is it only me or did I expect these new Lock Screen Widgets to be much better? They look kind of crapy and you can't see much. You either get 4 small circles or 2 slightly larger squares. Yes, there is some info that wasn't there before but it looks pretty underwhelming. I expected that you will be able to add more widgets and maybe in full color.

Orlaam

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
They're quite limited. Most developers don't even seem to make use of them either.

Sil3nt1

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2022
I like it..
IMG_0299.png

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Yeah there's definitely room for improvement. It's something that needs tweaking for sure.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Yeah for whatever reason apple is just changing stuff on iOS just because they can now. Like changing ipad multitasking every year. Imagine if they changed core mac functionality like this every year.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Yeah for whatever reason apple is just changing stuff on iOS just because they can now. Like changing ipad multitasking every year. Imagine if they changed core mac functionality like this every year.
I honestly think they don’t know what to do anymore and are just randomly changing things around. Remind me of stores in US where every few months they change the location of things so you have to go hunt for stuff.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
It just released today. Give it time for more developers to implemented more widgets in their apps
It is not about not having widgets it is about that they are restricted to very small amount of information that is on top of that monochrome. So, weather app for example will have very similar widget to any other weather app. No difference, no colors, etc.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I don’t see much point in them but oh well. I typically look at my look screen for as long as it takes me to unlock and swipe up so I’m not gaining much with widgets being there.

Reactions: mpavilion

SouthernFried

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2022
I like the idea, but it’s definitely very basic. The fact that all I have to do is pickup or tap the phone to see the weather and chance of rain is nice. I also like how I can set an alarm straight from the lock screen. Here’s mine.

6E29D40F-2BB9-4FBD-9EC8-8A43F962C134.png

Reactions: stephenschimpf

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
These widgets are to give glanceable information without having to pickup/unlock your phone. They're not meant to be flashy or novel experiences. In the event you want to act on it, you tap and go straight to the app, avoiding the potential of getting sucked into other experiences on your phone.

My only critique would be to shrink the size of the clock a bit and introduce a 2nd row of widgets. With most phones in their lineup at 6.1 now, no reason to limit us to 4. Maybe make both clock size and widget rows configurable by user. Hopefully this can be addressed in a dot release and we don't have to wait a whole year until iOS 17.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you add any widgets, the "depth effect" goes away. The depth effect is useless, but still kind of cool looking, especially with pics of people.

Reactions: ABSjazz and Shifts

dlbmacfan

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Is anyone else only seeing widgets for Apple apps? I was hoping to add a Fantastical widget but none are visible, even though I just updated the app to the version with Lock Screen widgets.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Is anyone else only seeing widgets for Apple apps? I was hoping to add a Fantastical widget but none are visible, even though I just updated the app to the version with Lock Screen widgets.
Same here. I remember this exact problem happened when they redid the widget screen before. Frustrating.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
The fitness one is worthless if it won’t actually show you your rings/calories if the phone is locked. One good is it on a Touch ID phone if I have to unlock them to view? Defeats the propose.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Evidently it forces the widgets to the center if they're small, and left if they're bigger (2 spaces vs 1 space). So if you want to spread out 2 small widgets to maintain a center focus on your wallpaper (photos of people for example?), you're SOL...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.