Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edjusted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
I've tried to use the stock Notes app for this, and though it meets most of my needs, I'm looking for an alternative.

I have a bunch of plain text files (hundreds) that I want to put into a Notes-type app. I'm willing to keep these all in their own self-contained Notes-type app. My only real criteria are:

1. ability to import text files in bulk (so ideally, there's a Mac or web version?)
2. ability to set a passcode so that I can't even get into the app without unlocking it (vs having individual notes locked)
3. ability to sync between iPhone and iPad (though if I can actually access them via Mac, that'd be a huge bonus)
4. basic ability to put notes into folders

Frankly, if Apple's Notes existed as a separate app and could do #2, I'd be set.

I've tried doing some Googling, but most of the results that come up are articles that talk about using the *stock* Notes app and locking individual notes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not the answer you're looking for, but I use Dropbox for this type of thing.

On iPhone, make the files readable off-line, so have them no matter what and password protected by the app's password/Touch ID.

Most any cloud drive app will have a protection mode, so Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Box.

Seem to recall Documents by Readle has app locking and can mass upload files to it, just don't recall if they have their own cloud to sync between devices.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Take a look at 1Writer. It has a passcode for the app.

You can copy your text files and folders to for example iCloud and then point 1Writer to it. 1Writer will then sync alle files to your iPhone and/or iPad. When you change a file (or create a new file) on the iPhone the changes will be synced to the iPad and vice versa.

There is no Mac version, but you can use any text editor to edit the files on the Mac. When you edit in iCloud (or DropBox or another cloud service) the changes are synced to your iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: NoBoMac

edjusted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations.

@NoBoMac
I thought about Dropbox but I use it for a lot of other stuff where password protection would get in the way.

I'll check out Documents though.

@lexvo 1Writer sounds pretty good, except for the lack of a Mac app. I'll check it out though.

I ended up going with Standard Notes, at least for now. It's a bit rough around the edges but it's decent and has a Mac version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.