Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe's kitchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
I understand that Lockdown Mode (on iOS, iPadOS and macOS) is to increase security.

But I read somewhere (IT tech website) that if Lockdown Mode enabled, there would be have some negative impact on your device's privacy.

Apple explain some trade-off on Lockdown Mode, but as far as I know they haven't explained about negative consequences on privacy.

I can't find the original article any more and can't find similar stories. Can anyone explain the privacy issues with devices in Lockdown Mode?

Joe's kitchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. So it's a tradeoff between security and privacy.

Just wondering, how many Apple device users are enabling Lockdown Mode...

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Note the update at the end:
"This story has been updated to clarify that Lockdown Mode users will be easy to detect and they will stand out, but will not necessarily be easy to fingerprint individually.”
Lockdown Mode is just one of the items that can be used to “fingerprint”. Having it on is just as much a clue as having it off.
Browser fingerprint https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_fingerprint#Browser_fingerprint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.