Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmt43

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Is anyone use Lockdown Privacy: Adblock VPN app? I have been using the free version for a while. I could not find any recent info/reviews on it, so I’m wondering. Does it really work? I know a lot that used to be free is now behind a paywall and blocking is minimal if much at all.….should I keep it or delete it?

I don’t think I want the paid version - not sure I would know how to use it to get my money’s worth! Just looking for additional ad blocking, privacy and security. I have set my device security settings - e.g. Private Relay, Safari website warning, etc. I use Private browsing, DDG browser. Any apps you all are using on your iPad & iPhones or steps you take to protect your privacy? thanks! Donna

jumpcats1234

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2024
U.S
You can also disable cookies and JavaScript, but will cause some websites to not work. A VPN is a good way to hide your IP address.

dmt43

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
You can also disable cookies and JavaScript, but will cause some websites to not work. A VPN is a good way to hide your IP address.
thank you for the suggestion. I don’t think I want to do that bc it will negatively impact my online experience. I had a VPN, which worked ok, but after my initial 3-year low-price period, the price jumped up. So, I researched VPNs extensively to find the ‘best’ one. The problem, I found, is many of them are tracking and keeping customer data (I think there are other issues too, I don’t recall what they were now) - so yeah, they hide your ip and provide some protection, but that just moves the tracking from online sources to them. And many of them have questionable practices. “Free” VPN??? Nothing is free! At the very least, I think it’s worth paying for the service. One really must research what the VPN company is doing with customer data. I am not sure I’ve found one that is truly protecting customer data and not using it for their own financial gain. But thanks for your suggestion! I’ll keep researching things. ; )

Reactions: jumpcats1234
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.