Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user9123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
I have an ipad 2 with 8.? iOs. and windows pc with itunes 12.1.2.27 I recently changed the password. I know what I wanted it to be, but I must have mistyped it twice. I tried to log in by now about 8 times, trying to come up with all permutations of my most recent password. The ipad has not been backed up for a month due to a trip. It has data that I don't want to lose. It is set not to erase data after 10 unsuccessful password attempts. The iPad was turned off after it ran out of battery during the flight and then turned on.

I tried to sync the ipad to the windows pc, hoping that once I back it up, I can just reset it and restore and not lose data

I tried to make it

1. Sync over USB cable into Itunes/PC. However, when connected to a USB cable, it wants me to enter the passcode into the Ipad.

2. sync it over wifi on the home network. The ipad is set to back up over wifi, but when I turn on Itunes, it won't sync over the network.

I tried to call customer support, who told me to reset it and restore from 1 month old backup, which would lose the interim data that I'm trying to save.

The ipad is logged into the iCloud, and when I log into the icoud account on the PC it shows the end of the serial number and that it's running OS8.

When I try to start it in the recovery mode, it asks me to (cancel, update, or restore). When I pick update, it wants Itunes to install iOS 8.3 onto the Ipad and tells me that it can't be updated, it will have to be restored to factory settings.

I don't want to go any further before asking for your advice.

1. Should I update it to 8.3? Will it prompt me for a new passcode? Can I cancel out of the restore after it updates iOS to 8.3 and have a way to reset the passcode or be prompted for a new passcode?

2. is there a way to prompt it to back up over wifi. It has been rebooted several times, and I'm not sure why it won't back up over wifi, which it should.

3. Should I downgrade Itunes to 12.1 / 11 or earlier so I can manually sync it to the same computer it was synced previously? Will earlier versions of Itunes allow me to sync/back it up before restoring it?

4. The other question I can't find the answer to is whether updating iOS to 8.3 will reset the failed passcode attempts or will allow it to sync over wifi. If I could have more guesses, I would be able to go through the permutations of the passcode typo variations.

5. How can I back up the data that I need very much before wiping it and restoring it? Will update to iOS 8.3 from iOS 8.? allow me to pick a new passcode?

If the IPad is not disabled (less than 10 attempts were made), and it is on, and it is connected to the same wireless network as the iTunes PC, why doesn't it back up the contents and sync wirelessly as it did before? How do I prod an Ipad 2 that has been restarted, is locked, but not disabled into syncing wirelesssly?

Thank you.

Reactions: xoAnna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.