Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
I recently purchased a Mac Mini from a business which was shutting down on ebay, it seems to be running windows Xp on it but I cant get any further than the log in screen and all short cuts and have been disabled from the main screen, so I cant get in and change anything, I imagine it under control via admin account. Is there anyway around this either manually or through software, or is there no way? Cheers.

james234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Thats the problem I have, I cant use the short cuts at that start up as I have tried it.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
Erm, have you tried target disk mode? Or perhaps pull the hard drive and stick it as a secondary drive on another machine, that should give you the option to reformat it.

james234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
That sounds like it could work. Is there any website which could show me how to do that?

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
iFixit.com has guides to open up Minis. Be careful and you'll be fine. :)

But first, try to hold [alt]/[option] during boot to see what happens. If none of the typical shortcuts work, pull the drive and wipe it.

james234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Thanks a lot I will check that out :)

I don't have a Apple keyboard so I don't have option, what's option on a Microsoft keyboard. Cheers

james234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Forget that last message, I pressed it and then was given the choice to go Mac Os, but I was stopped again by a log in.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
The login can be circumvented by booting to the OS X DVD and choosing "Reset password" from the "Utlities"-menu.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
If that doesn't work then try holding down 't' when booting, hopefully then you'll see a firewire logo bouncing round the screen. Connect to another machine via firewire and the mini should mount as an external HD, then hose the drive.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Even if he had a EFI lockout it would still ask for a password. From what I'm getting is that he's not getting anything. My guess is he is holding down the key(s) at the wrong time. They need to be pressed right after the startup chime and until the desired result occurs. Example: (Chime), press hold T, wait about 6 seconds while holding T, see bouncing FireWire logo on screen or see a blank text input box for the EFI password.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Indeed, but for example OF protected PPC Mac will do nothing when you want to use "C" shortcut to boot from optical (tested personally not once).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.