Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
I've been locked out of my Apple ID for about two weeks now and I was wondering if anyone had advice or experience with this process. I haven't received a text or e-mail from Apple (as they indicated) and I'm worried I may be stuck.

• I moved from Canada to the U.S. recently but wanted to retain my Canadian phone number. I ended up using a service called NumberBarn to park the number.
  • When I moved, I logged into Apple ID on my iPhone that used my new U.S. phone number. I thought this would make the recovery phone number different.
  • A few weeks ago, I believe I was the target of a hack, so Apple reset my password. My old password does not work any more and I was forced to try and reset it.
  • When I tried the verification process through https://iforgot.apple.com/ it would send iMessages to my old Canadian number. My old number can only receive texts, so I was unable to receive a verification code. What's worse is that the prompt insisted that I check the notification on my Mac to reset the password, but I don't own a Mac. I own an iPhone and and iPad.
  • As a result, I had to go through the slow recovery process that may take "several days". My issue is that I never received a confirmation text or e-mail. I've checked spam. I've tried to restart the process a few times, but every time, I don't receive a confirmation or have any knowledge of timing. It's been 12 days.
    • I've called Apple Support and they say they can't help me or speed up the process (which is what their website also says).
Anyone been in this before or know how long it takes for Apple to reset your ID? I don't see a day counter on their website and didn't receive any e-mail or text.

I haven't been able to download apps which has impacted my work. Thank you!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't understand why you couldn't receive the code on your old Canadian number? The code is sent via text by iMessage to your iPhone. I have received verification codes on my iPhone via text numerous times.

As to the waiting period to have your Apple ID reset, it varies but generally it takes around 2 weeks. Someone else may provide more info regarding resetting your Apple ID.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Generally you done if you can’t verify
revive old canadian number and try from there

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
A family member has made multiple attempts to revive an Apple ID that was connected to a trusted number that no longer exists (and can't be retrieved). We've been told a couple times that we'll get recovery instructions in 3 to 4 weeks, and both times nothing happened.

A different Apple ID that we did have a trusted number available for, took about a week to recover, and I believe we did get email confirmation of the approximate recovery date when we did the request.

yanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Just for an update here... This is the most unbelievable process I've ever seen. I am still locked out of my Apple ID. I waited over a month based on one of the initial time estimates was.

Apparently my phone is still "partially logged in" to my account on my phone and thus the account recovery process never started. Except the thing is that I can't actually log out of my apple ID on my phone. If you try to log out from your phone, it requires you to put in your password. I'm stuck in a loop and no one is able to help me from Apple support.

They recommend me starting the process again and then turning off all my Apple devices for the duration of the process. This could be another month, except I have no faith that it will actually work.

I'm absolutely shocked that this is the recovery process. I have access to my iPhone, iPad, can receive calls on the trusted phone number. I have access to my e-mail and the original credit card, but they still won't let me in. I've never received a single confirmation e-mail or text from Apple about the time of the process. This is absolutely the worst telecom experience I've ever had.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
If you have access to your iPad and it’s attached to the same Apple ID you should get the verification code on that

yanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
If you have access to your iPad and it’s attached to the same Apple ID you should get the verification code on that
I do have access to the iPad, but it's also been logged out as a result of this process. Also once you start the recovery process, you can't un-start it. I reactivated my old phone number and can get verification codes from it, but those don't work anymore. When you put them in, it just eventually tell you to start the account recovery process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.