Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hello,

This week my husband upgraded to a MacBook, so I have come into posession of his 15" G4 powerbook laptop. I've got a Blue iMac and a PowerPC G4 (looks like a little alien ship has landed) and have been using Macs exclusively since 1986....which is why I am really embarrassed to be telling you about what I did and asking you all for help...

Yesterday I boot up the laptop and decided to Make The Laptop My Own. So I go into user accounts and change my name for his and change the password. Everything looks okay, I go out to the desktop and clear out his dock (I like a clear dock), log off, shut down and go off to work.

I come home in the evening and...

Can't get onto the computer. It won't accept my password. Or his. I get the wiggly screen.

A bit baffled here. And I would be grafteful for any help.

Thanks.

Em.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm just going to hijack the thread slightly :)

If you don't know any user passwords, and you don't know the firmware password (to boot from CD), are you screwed? This is just a hypothetical situation, I'm sure there are no firmware passwords involved here! :eek:

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Nermal said:
I'm just going to hijack the thread slightly :)

If you don't know any user passwords, and you don't know the firmware password (to boot from CD), are you screwed? This is just a hypothetical situation, I'm sure there are no firmware passwords involved here! :eek:
OF or EFI passwords can be reset by a simple P-RAM zap i think.
To boot from a CD you just need to hold "C" (as i'm sure you know ;)).

Last resort is to take out the CMOS battery for a few days to make absolutely sure any passwords are gone (at least that's a workaround on generic PC BIOS passwords)

To the OP,
Try the cd to rest the password.
Once you get in i would think it is a better idea to create a new user and delete the old one.

Don't forget to set the master password to something you know/remember.

Good luck

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
ooHHHH... open firmware passwords are DANGEROUS... that is unless you have them tatooed on your butt or something. :D

Just use the OS X install/restore CD to reset the password for the user account.

EmStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Thanks

I've managed to find the husband's packet of CDs and support information literature which describe what you all are saying about starting up from "c"...only, and get this, Disc 1 is missing....sigh...

I've conducted a search through the home offices. No luck. Am I screwed here? I have 36 hours until my husband tells me to give up and takes it to be fixed by the service. I'd rather spend the $ on something like a mouse or a carrying case. Tell me there's still something I can do to crack the code...

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
EmStar said:
I've managed to find the husband's packet of CDs and support information literature which describe what you all are saying about starting up from "c"...only, and get this, Disc 1 is missing....sigh...

I've conducted a search through the home offices. No luck. Am I screwed here? I have 36 hours until my husband tells me to give up and takes it to be fixed by the service. I'd rather spend the $ on something like a mouse or a carrying case. Tell me there's still something I can do to crack the code...

You're saying its an OS password, because you're at the login screen, right?

If so, you can:
• Boot up using your OS X CD/DVD and change the password using the tool
• Boot up using your husband's MacBook discs and do the same

If you're more adventurous you can:
• Boot up in single user mode and change the password
•*Boot up in single user mode and enable the root account
• Boot up in single user mode and create a new account with no password

The procedure for each is pretty easy to find on the big wide interfish!

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
EmStar said:

Couple of options that might work:

1. Borrow an OSX Tiger disc from a friend? Not the install discs that came with the computer but a Retail version of Tiger. Boot from this CD

2. Did your husband have a backup of the hard drive? If so you might be able to put the laptop in target disc mode, connect the PB to one of your other macs via firewire and reimage the drive.

3. Did you make sure CAPS Lock or NUM lock wasn't pressed when you entered the password?

For future reference you should always have at least a couple of admin accounts on each Mac. That way if something screwy happens, you have a better chance of getting in without a reinstall.

EmStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
This is what I get:

Turn machine on: Login panel. My name. Type in my password. Jiggle. Type in his old password. Jiggle.

Turn off machine. Just tried booting up with his MacBook CD, as suggested. Same scenario as above.

Oh well. I think I'll just give up and let money fix it. We have a big event to go to in about an hour and then will be busy all Sunday, too. Thank you all for your time and care in explaining things.

Em.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Do you get to the Login screen when you boot form the MacBook discs? I think this means you're not actually booted from the discs. I'm not sure how the PPC/Intel thing will work, but make sure you're holding C from the moment you hit the power button to start 'er up. :)

EmStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I am holding down "c" from even before I turn on the machine, and still I get the Login panel.

Seems I'm up a creek.

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
You can try holding the option key right after the 'chime'. This should give you the option to boot from your hard-drive or your DVD.

EmStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I live in Turkey. the people in the Mac stores don't actually use the machines :)

EmStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I live in Turkey. the people in the Mac stores don't actually use the machines :)

I've tried this:
EmStar said:
You can try holding the option key right after the 'chime'. This should give you the option to boot from your hard-drive or your DVD.

It just got me back to the log in screen.

Emstar said:
1. Borrow an OSX Tiger disc from a friend? Not the install discs that came with the computer but a Retail version of Tiger. Boot from this CD
Here in Turkey I have never even met another Mac user outside of our family.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

where abouts ın turkey are u ???
ım ın aksaray could try help ya ????
try target dısk mode and boot up from a ınstall dısk and then reset password

EmStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I'm in Besiktas.

I've tried the install procedure. Several times. Now I'm going to try giving my machine to the service. I can't wait any longer! Must. Have. Mac.!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.