Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndaisley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Another issue where I have searched end to end of the http://www...

I have just set up an orange iMac (rev D) for my father - okay, so it is 6 years old, but it replaces an 8600 that was 8 years old, and it runs Panther now after a bit of a struggle.

I left my father's as an Administrative account just until I had set up the system fully, as well as leaving the original admin account in place.

I should say that I had not gone through a modem setup on OS X before because
1) my B&W G3 doesn't have one and
2) I got broadband here before I ever moved to OS X.

On first run through when establishing Internet settings, at my dad's place where dial-up is needed, I was required to create a new 'modem connection' into which I put a phone number that was incorrect by one digit (but I had put the correct number into the PPP configuration). I tried a connection (not having noticed my mistake) and of course it failed; but I then found that the primary Modem configuration was locked such that I could not delete the faulty one, nor could I edit it, nor could I create a new one - the faulty phone number was sitting there staring at me, grayed-out so I could do nothing about it!

Remember, this is a fully administrative account; when I logged in as the original admin account created for installation purposes, the modem config showing seemed to have copied the correct tel. number from PPP Configuration - but in any case was equally inaccessible from that direction!

I was completely prohibited from modifying the modem settings - and of course I checked that no control panels were locked under either account. Recreating the PPP config from the start, seemed to make no difference to the faulty modem connection.

I was running out of time by this stage, so went through the hard disk and manually destroyed a couple of files that had been modified in the previous few hours, and that looked like preference files. This seemed to clear the configuration, and enabled me to create a new one, which worked.

This seems a drastic way to fix what ought to be a simple config error - one of those issues that gives the lie to my own proselytising about how easy everything is on the Mac!

Although all seems well and my father is back online, I hoped someone might have an answer to this for the benefit of anyone coming to the issue later - why was my access to modem configuration locked after I had created one (faulty) entry? - Many thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.