Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NZBHOY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read through and hopefully someone here can advise me on what I should do.

I have lost access to my Apple ID ,

I changed telco company in NZ last week.
I got a whole new number, new telco.
So decided to clean and reset my IPHone 7 +

When I tried to login and set up my phone after a clean reset. I put my password in an authenticated no problem then I got a message saying a text has been sent, but I don’t have the number associated with the two step process.
Ok cool I find a function to just enter the number and verify my self that way. But no I have apparently forgot a number I have had for 6 years. After 8 failed attempts I am locked out

I then call Apple. The outcome of which is this. I need the phone number to recover, even though I know password and the phone number. I had to enter the number too revive a code to verify the securiy. After 8 more fails I am lockout again.

2nd call I re explain to guy on the phone he eventually gets too the same position as call 1
I am then passed over to a Manager who I again have too explain everything too
She eventually gets access to my phone through a second account I have. She comes to the conclusion after 8 more fails and a lockout that without the number I have no ID
It’s gone.

I explain that I have had this ID for 10 years and accumulated a fair amount of apps,music, ect . I remind her that I have not forgotten the password or the phone number number associated with the ID and this is An Apple issue.

I am then transferred to the items / App Store
Department. 20mins on hold I’m cut off.

Call 3 I again have to start at the beginning. After repeatedly telling him that I have already tried this twice it’s not going to work. I just want too talk to Sherrie the lady from 30 min ago. I’m passed to another lady who tells me to not worrie she will fix it. So she starts at the beginning. No please do you not have any notes by now outlying what’s happened and any failed processes already done, after 8 more fails I am told she will call back when the block is off and fix it no call arrives in time said, and in the middle of the night I revive a call from Apple regarding a request to cancell my youtube red subscription. I then tell her no and I have been waiting for a call back. I try to explain from the he beginning she tells me to again go through the process of 8 fails and lockout.

I try explaining I have done this can I just speak to one of the six people I gave previously talked too. But no she will fix it. Can I please enter the number into list I’d recovery. I tell her the number and she then tells me my number is wrong as New Zealand has 10 not 09 numbers as mobile phone numbers. I assure her that I have the right number. But she insisted I have it wrong and is there a friend or family member that could confirm the number. I get the wife’s phone a confirm to her that . I am now for the first time starting to get a bit snappy. We discuss the case I’m now better than her at the processes and refuse to be lead down the 8 and out rout again. She has now passed it too the IT dep.

I thank you if you got all the way through this. And any advice is appreciated.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What i can't get is why did u try 8 times ?

How about turning two factor off first, the re-enabling it again..

go through iforgot.apple.com. or try the "if you have forgotten your Apple id, you can (look it up)" at the underneath the button.

NZBHOY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
What i can't get is why did u try 8 times ?

How about turning two factor off first, the re-enabling it again..

go through iforgot.apple.com. or try the "if you have forgotten your Apple id, you can (look it up)" at the underneath the button.
I never turned 2 factor off because I had the password and telephone no. I have attempted it 8 time and on those 8 times I entered the correct number.
I thank you for your pointless input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.