Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadwodny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2017
I am new to this forum thing and I am sure there is a thread on this already, but I am in need of some help.

My niece has a old Ipad (I think its around the first generation) and her brother got a hold of it and locked her out of it. Her parents nor her can remember the password and/or never had it synced to a computer so I cant just hook it back up. There are a lot of videos and pictures of when she was a just a little one that can be very precious to the family and want to try and get it all back. I have looked and tried what I feel has been everything and am to the point of just swiping it and saying tough luck. I prefer not to update the software either if I don't have to. So if anybody can try and help me or has any ideas that would be fantastic!!!

Nadwodny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2017
Your SOL. Even if you restore on iTunes it will still be locked.. Figure out the passcode or it’s a paperweight
That’s what I figured but they want me to keep trying so figured I’d see if anybody else knew

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
If it is an old device with old firmware, it might be possible to jailbreak it... once jailbroken you sometimes have the ability to do things that Apple doesn't normally permit. I've been out of the jailbreaking community for too long to remember any details, but you might have a look around at jailbreakqa.com: first to see if it can be jailbroken, and then if so, are there any tools on Cydia that would allow you to wipe out the passcode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.