Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I tried it. Kind of pointless for me since there's no missed calls/SMS notifications. I guess it would be nice for todo and weather though.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I used it for awhile. Calendar appts show up nice, weather works but I couldn't get the six day forecast (icons) to show up. RSS feeds work as well as todo's and email. Your correct that the notifications aren't a lot of help for phone calls, voicemail, texts.... but having your schedule, emails, and weather on the lockscreen is nice. I took it off only because I use it on my iPhone so I didn't need to duplicate it. (actually, I hardly use my iPhone for anything except calls and texts now that I have the iPad - I have to keep something on it...)

rutiger

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Using the weather plugin puts my iPad into a crash loop. Just using the calendar and email plugins right now.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Hmm, looks like its very much buggy at the moment.

- It detects rotation, but doesn't size correctly

- WeatherIcon doesn't work on iPad, so any weather plugin relying on it won't work.

- It's look in general probably needs to be adjusted for possible multiple columns in landscape mode.

Ashman produces good stuff, so hopefully he's working on something awesome :)

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Hmm, looks like its very much buggy at the moment.

- It detects rotation, but doesn't size correctly

- WeatherIcon doesn't work on iPad, so any weather plugin relying on it won't work.

- It's look in general probably needs to be adjusted for possible multiple columns in landscape mode.

Ashman produces good stuff, so hopefully he's working on something awesome :)

Everything you say is correct except the part about weathericon. You can ge it to work on ipad and also the lockweather plugin with a six-day forecast, by doing the following:

(1) Find out your yahoo weather code entering your zip code at http://weather.yahoo.com, clicking the orange RSS icon on the right and then check the url for a location code. E.g., zip code 20005, rss url ishttp://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?p=USDC0001&u=f so the code us USDC0001.
(2) go into Cydia and install weatherico. Let is finish installing, but ***DO NOT RESPRING****
(3) press home button to go to springboard, open settings >>weathericon, and enable it, turn image and badge off under icon, unr image off under status bar, but leave temp on if you wish to see the temp in your status bar, turn override location ON and enter your yahoo weather code from step 1.
(4) close settings, open cydia, press repsring

This works in 3.2, but not 4.0, from my experience.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Everything you say is correct except the part about weathericon. You can ge it to work on ipad and also the lockweather plugin with a six-day forecast, by doing the following:

(1) Find out your yahoo weather code entering your zip code at http://weather.yahoo.com, clicking the orange RSS icon on the right and then check the url for a location code. E.g., zip code 20005, rss url ishttp://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?p=USDC0001&u=f so the code us USDC0001.
(2) go into Cydia and install weatherico. Let is finish installing, but ***DO NOT RESPRING****
(3) press home button to go to springboard, open settings >>weathericon, and enable it, turn image and badge off under icon, unr image off under status bar, but leave temp on if you wish to see the temp in your status bar, turn override location ON and enter your yahoo weather code from step 1.

I'll have to clear my plist file to give that a shot... last time weathericon was installed it saved a plist and then entered into an endless safemode-reboot cycle haha.

Thanks. :)

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
LockWeather plugin is working now, to an extent... it doesn't resize at all, and well.. it needs to be redesigned for the iPad.

Thanks for the hint.

Update to previous list:

- LockWeather works but doesn't resize, and it's touch detection for calendar vs weather is skewed due to the larger screen.

- InfoShade works in basic function, but the form is completely messed up. It doesn't detect rotation. It also pulls down at at an angle (odd).

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
LockWeather plugin is working now, to an extent... it doesn't resize at all, and well.. it needs to be redesigned for the iPad.

Thanks for the hint.

Update to previous list:

- LockWeather works but doesn't resize, and it's touch detection for calendar vs weather is skewed due to the larger screen.

- InfoShade works in basic function, but the form is completely messed up. It doesn't detect rotation. It also pulls down at at an angle (odd).

I think it looks great in portrait on lockscreen, but that infoshade at an angle is very strange looking. Good to know it's not just me. I think David is focusing on 4.0 these days. We need him to finish this up.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I have a feeling there won't be a whole lot of iPad development since it won't be nearly as profitable as iPhone development.

I'm starting to think I jumped on the iPad bandwagon before I should have. :(

cachehog

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009

Thanks for this! I had tried many times to add the lockweather and weathericon plugins, but got the boot loop problem. Your method works! :D
~Cachehog~

mattburn

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009

I'm still not able to get lockinfo or weathericon working on the iPad. I've installed both the native weather plugin and HTC plugin for lockinfo. I've installed both Klear and Katra weather themes hoping that would fix the status bar problem. I followed the instructions above but the temperature just shows 0 degrees. I can't get any weather icon to show in the status bar. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

mattburn

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I'm kinda interested on how you guys got this working...I received an email from dave and he said at this moment, weather isn't supported for the iPad at this time, however he is getting around to it.

mattburn

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Solution to weather on the iPad

You not only need the yahoo code but you now need the WOEID...so within settings it should look something like this (i.e. Chicago)
USIL0228|2379574

Good luck and enjoy weather on the iPad!

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
You not only need the yahoo code but you now need the WOEID...so within settings it should look something like this (i.e. Chicago)
USIL0228|2379574

Good luck and enjoy weather on the iPad!

Thanks. I didn't realize a WOE code was necessary now for that override. Entered that in addition to Yahoo weather code and it's working.

mattburn

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I've found that when lockinfo weather updates it doesn't update the weather on the status bar. I have to respring or reboot if I want the weather in the status bar to update. However after lockinfo weather updates and I open an app, while the app is open the status bar weather icon matches the lockinfo screen weather but when I shut the app down the status bar weather goes back to what it was prior. Anyone have any idea why this is?

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Does lockinfo add significant polling processes? I haven't done any extensive testing yet, but first look has me concerned about battery draw. I had the same concern when on my phone, but I had decided to go a different direction and ended up removing it before getting a chance to document and compare my numbers.

I have it running on home screen and shaded only, no lock screen, with only calendar, time, mail, RSS (no feeds configured yet) and Notifications enabled.

Thanks

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
So I've been looking at this to try and fill some of the dead space on my home page now that I've moved (just about) everything to the dock in categories.

Unfortunately, the icons in the upper right are not clickable and appear to still be behind the lockinfo even with the transparency reduced. However, I see looking at the iPhone forum that many have icons on their home screen in addition to lockinfo.

Am i doing something incorrect/missing something, or is it an iPad beta thing?

Tia

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I'm in the same boat... I'd love to see lockinfo work well on the homescreen, I moved everything to the dock/categories. Unfortunately lockinfo on the iPad has just about no development priority.

I'd like to have it, or some useful widgets or something on my empty homescreen...

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
If I respiring with the above lockinfo setting for the homepage, initially, the transparency is extended the width of the screen. After opening an app and exiting to the home screen, the display is correct as shown above. However, as noted, the icons are not clickable.

However, if I then make a change in backgrounder and let it do the restringing, the lockinfo display is correct from the initial spring and the icons are usable.

Really looking forward to an update to this. It is great, especially with the infoshade pulldown. You can actually still use the app in back of the shape which i never realized. Reduce the size of that transparency, make it's positioning customizable and damn, you practically got Windows.

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
USIL0228|2379574

Thank you! I was wondering why my weather quit updating a week and a half ago. Tried everything, looked everywhere, just found this today. Back to working fine.

I do like having weather and calendar items on the lockscreen.

John B.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.