Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Ok, so I got a couple locks to secure my stuff at school. My displays and laptop lock up just fine. I dont quite understand the PowerMac G5 lock though. It is supposed to lock the insides of the computer too so it has that pull out tab you are supposed to put the lock through. What kind of lock goes through that hole? I am using the standard laptop lock and it obviously cant lock this thing up. Any ideas on how to lock it?

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
Correct me if I'm wrong (and i usually am) but I thought that the Powermacs just used the standard kensington lock? perhaps I'm assuming that there is a standard when there really isn't who knows, but that was my original assumption. Would it be safe to say that whatever lock works on a PM would work on a Mac Pro also?

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
Yeah, I saw that. There must be another solution though. I find it hard to believe that there is only one lock you can use on Apple's most expensive computer.

you can use a padlock to lock it shut.

as for securing it to a desk... perhaps a cable could wrap around/through one of the legs of the tower?

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US

as for securing it to a desk... perhaps a cable could wrap around/through one of the legs of the tower?

That is actually pretty smart. I could use one of the kingston locks I have but first wrap it around the leg before locking in the monitor. Both items would be locked together and secured to the desk. Good idea! Course the insides are still vulnerable but I dont see an easy fix for that.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
or you can use a cable that has loops on both ends, and lock it to a desk using a padlock while locking the tower shut at the same time.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
while locking the tower shut at the same time.

The cables that loop at both ends wont fit through the hole they give you to lock the cover on the power mac. The Kingston lock has this loop too.

I heard you the first time. I have an extra kingston lock through (that I could plug into a second display) and I wont be able to return it at this point. While a padlock would work great the kingston lock should work just as well. thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have thought to use the leg had you not suggested the pad lock.

I dont know why Apple designed the computer like this to be honest. What lock can fit through that hole? (other than http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2852/.f )

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
here, how about I draw you a picture!

lockpro.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.