Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiltonjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
I bought a macbook pro 15" mid-2018 in March 2019. I started using it connected to an external monitor, which is why it was closed 80% of the time, working as a desktop. In October 2019 it stopped working and I took it to the authorized technical assistance. A defect was found in the logic board, which was replaced along with the ID board. Four months later, the logic board was defective again and the battery was dilated. In this repair it was replaced in addition to the board, the top case with the battery, and again the touch ID. I told Apple support that I was converned because it’s expensive equipment and a problem that happened 2x could easily happen again, but they reassured me saying it’s not an usual case and that they would treat differently, regardless of the warranty. And in November 2020, for the 3rd time, there was a problem with the logic board, and then they inform me that I would have to pay for the repair, which would be the replacement of the entire logic board , absurdly expensive, I was outraged because it’s not the first Mac I have, but it’s definitely the last, and I’m going to have to seek my rights because of a completely abnormal situation and that Apple didn’t have the decency to keep your word and give a definitive solution to this recurring problem.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
Send Tim Cook an email. I'm serious. They'll probably resolve this for you. Explain your situation and be courtous.

hiltonjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Is this Apple telling you they won’t replace it free of charge, or a third-party repair company?
It was Apple that told me that it would not authorize the repair free of charge. The Macbook was taken to Apple's authorized technical assistance every time the problem occurred, including this time. I was waiting for a solution for a couple of weeks, which came yesterday, with the denial of the warranty repair.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It was Apple that told me that it would not authorize the repair free of charge. The Macbook was taken to Apple's authorized technical assistance every time the problem occurred, including this time. I was waiting for a solution for a couple of weeks, which came yesterday, with the denial of the warranty repair.

Completely unacceptable level of service. Good luck, hope they look after you as they should do!!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The Macbook was taken to Apple's authorized technical assistance
There's a difference between an Apple Authorized Service Provider (I happen to work for one) and an actual Apple store or service center. Was it an Apple-branded and run location or was it a shop that is authorized to service Apple devices?

Theschdave

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2022
I bought a macbook pro 15" mid-2018 in March 2019. I started using it connected to an external monitor, which is why it was closed 80% of the time, working as a desktop. In October 2019 it stopped working and I took it to the authorized technical assistance. A defect was found in the logic board, which was replaced along with the ID board. Four months later, the logic board was defective again and the battery was dilated. In this repair it was replaced in addition to the board, the top case with the battery, and again the touch ID. I told Apple support that I was converned because it’s expensive equipment and a problem that happened 2x could easily happen again, but they reassured me saying it’s not an usual case and that they would treat differently, regardless of the warranty. And in November 2020, for the 3rd time, there was a problem with the logic board, and then they inform me that I would have to pay for the repair, which would be the replacement of the entire logic board , absurdly expensive, I was outraged because it’s not the first Mac I have, but it’s definitely the last, and I’m going to have to seek my rights because of a completely abnormal situation and that Apple didn’t have the decency to keep your word and give a definitive solution to this recurring problem.
Hi, let me know if you see this, have similar issues. Thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.