Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizart

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2003
Denmark
Logic Control

In my opinion, it's not unlikely that we will se a new controller for Logic made by Apple. Emagic developt the Logic Control, had it made by Mackie, Mackie gives Emagic the finger and promote it themselves..! And no, Mackie control doesn't work "properly" with Logic as Logic Control (why should it..?).
It will not be a hard job for Apple to make a controller that look better that the Logic control we have now.
I think that "nuckingfutz" has some very good points, and I'm definitly not sure that Mackie Control is gonna rule anything - let's see how Mackie are doing the next 6 months.......

MCal

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2003
Cheshire UK.
Wizart please read what I wrote.... Emagic will allow Mackie to use the Logic Control code within Mackie Control. We ALL know it does do it yet....

Wizart wrote:" And no, Mackie control doesn't work "properly" with Logic as Logic Control (why should it..?)."

Al.

wizart

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2003
Denmark
Al, I just don't agree in that Emagic will allow Mackie to use the LC source-code in the Mackie control. Not after talking to sources within Emagic and have heard the story behind the Logic controller and what Mackie did afterwards....
- but anyone could be right ... or wrong .. at this time.. ;)

I think it's all about having a controller that's worth the money and works well.

best wishes...

Wizart

MCal

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2003
Cheshire UK.
Wizart,
Well all I can say is that I heard this from 'the inside' and I am (to a slightly lesser extent) on the inside of this too. So as long as nothing changes radically from what I was told officially.... this is happening.

I know nothing about an Apple controller. Maybe if they are doing one, then the Logic Control code isn't as valuble to Emagic/Apple, and it wasn't such a big deal to give (sell?) it to Mackie...

We'll see huh? ;-)

Al.

GregGomer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Check out this quote from Mac Whispers. Intersting since they usually don't go off other rumors sight and insiders, but rather, post based on manufaturing plants details and data.

"Finally, we have a steady flow of reports coming in of a whole gamut of new Apple branded accessories: headphones, speakers, cables and connectivity gadgets, at least two new mouse and keyboard designs... and, if these whispers are true, some sort of USB-based control surface device."

MacWhispers

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
new controller? why bother...

If Apple/emagic brings out something new, it had better be something with a monitor section!!! if not, it's just a waste of time that will likely be built cheaper (witness those translucent blue midi/audio interfaces, by comparison to the amt/unitor line), suck more and cost less. without that sort of functionality ("listen" volume, please?), there's no point in upgrading from the logic control.

i built my rig around a logic control and 3 xt's (32 faders) and both the yellow 32v waldorf kb and orange rack (plus other assorted racksynths etc.), for "gluteally" maximal midi controller data capabilities, and good looks to boot, so after that amount of investment, i believe i'm qualified to speak on the subject.

the biggest drag in my rig is that i still need to keep a p.o.s. mackie 1604 vlz in the system in order to do things like provide a volume knob for my monitors, etc. i think the logic control rig is great for mixing midi and audio tracks. however, unfortunately it is not the complete solution console replacement, not could it ever be, unless mackie/emagic allowed users to rig the c4/phat channel to handle mundane **** like control room volume, monitor mixes, etc. that would be cool, in its own way. however, has anyone else noticed that the c4 is available as a mackie-branded product but the emagic-branded phat channel (identical kit) is not in channels and has silently disappeared from emagic's web site?

in light of that, i'd imagine the logic control is done as hardware, to be replaced with something smaller (i.e. the tascams) yet more functional (volume controls, etc., i.e.the digi002), and fully redundant with the logic control so that the older hardware is supported in future logic software revisions. i don't reckon they'll stop supporting the logic control/xt, though (and not just because i have several); many of the sw's recent upgrades have seemed directed in large part at increasing the functionality/usability of the logic control, so unless it just doesn't sell at all (possible), it's difficult to imagine them offing it after only 1.5 years.

then again, anything's possible; ford's about to discontinue the thunderbird again, for instance...

vixapphire

madonna has never sounded this good:
http://www.mp3.com/vixapphire

:rolleyes:

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Re: new controller? why bother...

Originally posted by vixapphire
If Apple/emagic brings out something new, it had better be something with a monitor section!!! if not, it's just a waste of time that will likely be built cheaper (witness those translucent blue midi/audio interfaces, by comparison to the amt/unitor line), suck more and cost less. without that sort of functionality ("listen" volume, please?), there's no point in upgrading from the logic control.

i built my rig around a logic control and 3 xt's (32 faders) and both the yellow 32v waldorf kb and orange rack (plus other assorted racksynths etc.), for "gluteally" maximal midi controller data capabilities, and good looks to boot, so after that amount of investment, i believe i'm qualified to speak on the subject.

the biggest drag in my rig is that i still need to keep a p.o.s. mackie 1604 vlz in the system in order to do things like provide a volume knob for my monitors, etc. i think the logic control rig is great for mixing midi and audio tracks. however, unfortunately it is not the complete solution console replacement, not could it ever be, unless mackie/emagic allowed users to rig the c4/phat channel to handle mundane **** like control room volume, monitor mixes, etc. that would be cool, in its own way. however, has anyone else noticed that the c4 is available as a mackie-branded product but the emagic-branded phat channel (identical kit) is not in channels and has silently disappeared from emagic's web site?

in light of that, i'd imagine the logic control is done as hardware, to be replaced with something smaller (i.e. the tascams) yet more functional (volume controls, etc., i.e.the digi002), and fully redundant with the logic control so that the older hardware is supported in future logic software revisions. i don't reckon they'll stop supporting the logic control/xt, though (and not just because i have several); many of the sw's recent upgrades have seemed directed in large part at increasing the functionality/usability of the logic control, so unless it just doesn't sell at all (possible), it's difficult to imagine them offing it after only 1.5 years.

then again, anything's possible; ford's about to discontinue the thunderbird again, for instance...

vixapphire

madonna has never sounded this good:
http://www.mp3.com/vixapphire

:rolleyes:
do you have any pics of your rig. i may get the jlcooper 32 fader for $399 or the tascam 1884 firewire and opt. 8 chaneel strips, there is just to many to chhose from.
the best upgradrade to logic control mackie control imo is to add a firewire interface and 8 in/out 24/96 audio and 4 i/o midi like the $1299 tascam along with $599 8 fader opt boxes with no audio or midi. or cut the price to $599 and $399ext.
wishful thinking huh

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
I'll get a pic of the rig (complete with the cover off the bottom so all the messy cables are hanging out in open view) up sometime later; i've got photo's on another computer.

what i'd be very excited to see, is whether apple/emagic takes full advantage of the low-latency osx core audio to allow true "live" mixing of hardware in channels of the logic track mixer without the need for delay compensation configuration (as with the tc powercore, etc. systems). this will not be truly a-kicking until motu, etc. upgrade their 24 i/o, 2408, etc. multichannel audio interfaces to work via firewire (possible with 800, perhaps?), rather than pci. plus, as with the new motu 828 mk II, where they've moved the "cuemix" config/routing program onto the hardware, they and other audio hw interface mfr's need to do the same for their other products so that its no longer necessary to run "cuemix" to route audio on a pci card - you should be able to do the routing in logic in the i/o windows on the track mixer. isn't that the purpose of osx's in-built multichannel audio support?

once the foregoing features are implemented, you'd be able to sell your hw outboard signal processing and run native effects on hardware in real time - no more having to cut it to disc first to do the basic eq/comp using native plug-ins. of course, query whether any of this will ever happen, given the increasing migration to native instruments (not just those made by the eponymous company). still, it would be nice...

at that point, digidesign will be singin' the blues b/c the raison d'etre of expensive protools dsp farms will have evaporated. wishfully thinking, the price of used mix+24 systems will fall sufficiently as a result, so that i can buy the cards and a 1622 i/o and get a few more years out of the ol' blue & white g3!!! hell, if that happens, i might even upgrade to one o' those fancy 21" blue & white crt monitors from my current 17"... ;)

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
thanks for the tip; i've never heard of this thing, and it appears to be the perfect solution to my problem. at the moment, i'm running an 828 i/o that's got the phones, mains and latency-free monitoring capabilities, but it doesn't have enough inputs. the i3 box you linked to seems well-suited for the above-described dream-scenario featuring a 24 i/o or similar box.

pardon the slight veering from the topicality, but does anyone listening/reading have experience with running mixes, etc. through logic in real time using both hw and sw sound generators (through the logic mixer w/ effects) in osx? would be very interested to hear people's impressions of osx's reduced latency (i'm still a 9.2 guy myself).

best regards,

now playing at mp3.com/vixapphire

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
about the same latency

i havent seen any diff in latency from my os9 logic/cubase/deck and osx apps cubase/deck, but then 2 of my cards are awaiting better drivers (audiowek2, yamaha dsp factory), there have been many issues with usb 1.1 interface for audio and usb hubs in general documented, but getting much better quickly.and i am using a roland vm3100 rpc1 pci based mixer/sound card combo. midi seems slightly less tight then os9 but oms had many years maturity, midi timing is still good though.
OSX audio apps imho seem just as stable as OS9, my sound card issues aside but i am blessed with a very stable 9.2.2 setup for music, i have what i need for music and a few os9 only apps and games and thats its, just a few gigs on its own drive.
OSX is definately almost there, a little slower with scrolling and screen redraws etc. but the same track count/plug count on my BW 600G4oc 1GBpc133, voodoo 5500/rage128.
Newer faster machines will probably find it faster with 1GHZ+, duals, agp etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.