Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicorojas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2003
Chile
Hey guys, I need your help.

I recently bought a Phonic Helix 18 Firewire Mixer to record my band's rehearsals and demo songs. The mixer worked fine out of the box, no driver issues.

The things is, I have a pirate version of Cubase SX 1.06 that we used to play with, when recording. I know we shouldn't, but....ok....we shouldn't have used it.

The thing is, that copy of Cubase had a very annoying bug (some recordings dissappear when you stopped or paused the recording) so we want to use another software. This time, a legit one (because Cubase is too hard to crack!).

We've using GarageBand for a while, but we would like something more powerful.

The computer is a Powerbook 15", 1.5Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 160Gb external HDD (7,200 rpm LaCie d2 Extreme via firewire 800). The Phonic mixer is capable to send 16 tracks simultaneously to the laptop.

Our options are Logic Express and Cubase SE3. We don't want to spend more than that.

The main issue for us is how efficient the program is. Cubase SX 1 did everything we wanted, and didn't stressed out the powerbook. Would it be the same with Cubase SE 3? or Logic? By the way, what do you guys think about Ardour? is it too hard to use? would it work with my mixer?

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Cubase SE 3 is $75 academic, I think. If you have edu hookups, that would be your cheapest option. Is there a cubase demo? You could run that and see how it much it takes on your system.

Ardour is good, if JackOSX works well with your device.
http://www.jackosx.com/

It records fine, though doesn't have some of the nice and pretty plugins like Cubase or Logic to edit and master your stuff later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.