Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baybaytenayje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2020
I recently just bought a new MBP and need some advice on how to manage my files. I have an external 2TB HDD, an external 500GB SSD and Google Drive account. My goal was to free up as much space on my computer to have it run as fast and smoothly as possible.

My current plan is to put all of Logic and Ableton's sound libraries and my projects onto the external 500GB SSD while I keep the HDD my backup drive using Time Machine. All my applications would stay on the computer itself. Meanwhile I would have Google Drive synced up to all my files as another safety measure.

Here's my question: How do I make sure that my sound libraries and projects on the SSD are safe? With this setup they couldn't be synced with Time Machine or Google Drive. Or is there a way to make that possible?

Thanks for your help.

blakedirksen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
Iowa
Great question. The set up you describe is close to what I use. The easiest thing to do is to relocate the logic audio library to the SSD using the tools in logic (Sound Library/Relocate Sound Library) NOTE: You cannot have a drive be a time machine backup AND a logic sound library drive. I only move the logic library to the SSD and don't worry bout backing it up since you can re-download the logic library at any time. My 3rd party sounds I keep on my MBP and back up that whole machine. Most modern plug ins and samples are getting smaller. You stated you got a new MBP so as long you leave a reasonable amount of space on that SSD, it won't be what slows you down. In regard to project files, I keep what I am actively working on on my internal hard drive and once I am done I archive the final .wav file somewhere safe and drop the project on an old HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.