Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lil chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I'm trying to figure out what software to buy when I purchase a Macbook. I'm currently using Reason 2.5 on PC but just getting a bit bored with it. I prefer the software with layouts such as Cubase, but I don't want to buy that then have to spend a fortune on VST plugins, which is why I'm thinking of buying Logic. But I keep seeing Live mentioned all the time and I can get hold of a copy half the price of Logic. I make trance sort of music currently but want to expand and add more 'real' intruments into this genre, a bit like how Oakenfold uses guitars etc. What would people recommend? Suppose using both of them could be an option, but what are the advantages of doing this? Cheers.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Both have demos. There is a demo of Logic Express. Try them both.

The full version of Logic is a powerhouse. It comes with quite a bit, including many synths and instruments, effects and reverbs. Its midi editing and automation is quite advanced.
It is easy to make looping songs in Live because of the user friendly layout. You can do much more in Logic, though it's not as user friendly.

Live is, well, meant to be used in live performances where you can change the song on the fly. You can do just as much in Logic to make music, though perhaps not as easy to use in a live performance.

The full version of Logic is available for $250-300 in some college bookstores. Apple gives those stores promotional copies at times, esp at the start of the school year. Check a bookstore near you. I got a full copy for $300 recently.

williamh

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
lil chris said:
I'm trying to figure out what software to buy when I purchase a Macbook. I'm currently using Reason 2.5 on PC but just getting a bit bored with it. I prefer the software with layouts such as Cubase, but I don't want to buy that then have to spend a fortune on VST plugins, which is why I'm thinking of buying Logic. But I keep seeing Live mentioned all the time and I can get hold of a copy half the price of Logic. I make trance sort of music currently but want to expand and add more 'real' intruments into this genre, a bit like how Oakenfold uses guitars etc. What would people recommend? Suppose using both of them could be an option, but what are the advantages of doing this? Cheers.

Get Logic!!

I had a same situation: running Reason 3.0 on my PC and I'm bored of that! Then I switch to Mac and using Logic Express. It does everything that Reason does but more advanced!!!!! Logic can be used to record, edit wave file, mixing and mastering.

I'm now happy by just using Logic Express for my musical production and I won't go back to PC or use anything else!

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I'm running both at the moment, but only because Live came free with my audio interface. They complement each other pretty well - Live is very easy to get started with and to experiment in, whereas Logic has all the heavyweight tools for when you're actually finishing off a track.

This is a luxury, however, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you are short on cash. Looking at what you want to produce with the software, I would probably say that Live is better for you (despite me much preferring Logic). With its looping and time-stretching capabilities, I've always seen Live as more of an electronic/dance music tool. If you do want to add live instruments in, Live can do this and make it fit the beat of your song, so it sounds ideal for what you want to do.

lil chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks a lot for the replies. I think I'll opt for Logic as it is capable of doing so much. It's available in the Apple Education store at a discount price, it doesn't say 'Academic Version' anywhere in the title or description, so will it have the retail liscence? It's not extremely cheap, about 30-40% off the rrp.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
lil chris said:
Thanks a lot for the replies. I think I'll opt for Logic as it is capable of doing so much. It's available in the Apple Education store at a discount price, it doesn't say 'Academic Version' anywhere in the title or description, so will it have the retail liscence? It's not extremely cheap, about 30-40% off the rrp.

GO FOR LIVE !!

ha ha, I'm the guy that's always promoting Ableton on these boards..

but, I actually do use both live and logic, Live being rewired to Logic to get the best of both worlds..

But, do you make music by yourself? As in creating samples and importing your own sounds? Or are you more on the side of recording a band, or multiple individual recording session?

For the whole "one man band" vibe, I really recommend Live, because the software itself can be inspiring for creativity (kind of like Reason)

But Logic is much better for straight up multi track recording, like having multiple mics, and a mixing board ect...great for recording a band.

Get what you want, but I can't get enough of Ableton...and since you said you are into trance/electronic music.. I suspect you will fall in love with the way Live works as well....

lil chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks for that last post. I'm not sure yet, at first it will just be me doing the whole electronic stuff, but i'm going to uni soon and will probably also form a band there as I play guitar, so recording that may become something I want to do, as I also want to learn some "studio techniques" for the instruments.
I've been playing around with the demo and it looks really fun, the way in which it all works is great and it seems like structuring songs will be effortless compared to Logic. Just a few things though, in the full version, are there plenty of VST instruments? Good effects? And is there a decent drum sequencer? That's why I liked the look of Logic, it had everything. Sorry for all the questions. :rolleyes:
Another thing is I hear lots of people saying "I use Live and Logic and get the best of both worlds". I was just wondering what kind of stuff you do in each program when you Rewire them? Cheers.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
lil chris said:
the way in which it all works is great and it seems like structuring songs will be effortless compared to Logic.

Exactly, when you're making songs from scratch by yourself, Live just adds to the creative process, instead of hindering it...IMO...

lil chris said:
Just a few things though, in the full version, are there plenty of VST instruments? Good effects? And is there a decent drum sequencer?

Oh big time....I love the stock plugs for Live..way more than the ones for Logic Express....(The plugs in Logic Pro, however, are incredible....)

In Live, you get three major instrument plugs, Simpler (a great, easy to use sampler that is not overly complex and works great..) Impulse, (a nice drum machine, slightly similar to ReDrum) and of course, Operator (a totally configurable Synth with endless tweaking...)

and then a ton of FX like Beat repeat, eq's ect.... Logic has some great synths, and a few nice FX (has a great reverb)

lil chris said:
I use Live and Logic and get the best of both worlds". I was just wondering what kind of stuff you do in each program when you Rewire them? Cheers.

Well, I use Live rewired to Logic because it works best for me when I'm recording scratches, or mixes from my turntable's or from whatever source into Logic, and I also use Live at the same time simply because I love how it handles sound clips, loops, breaks ect...and it's great how, when rewired, the two programs sync up perfectly...(when you rewire the two together, the plug ins in Live are not available to use..)

Hope that helps, If I were you, I would try and score the educational discount version of Live.

lil chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks alot, you've been really helpful. Think I'll go with Live. I was expreimenting with the Live Lite 4 demo, and it didnt have the 'operator' on which sounds good. In the Apple Education store the Live software is actually more expensive than that of most internet music shops, £300 compared to around £240, Logic is around £400.
Cheers.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
lil chris said:
Thanks alot, you've been really helpful. Think I'll go with Live. I was expreimenting with the Live Lite 4 demo, and it didnt have the 'operator' on which sounds good. In the Apple Education store the Live software is actually more expensive than that of most internet music shops, £300 compared to around £240, Logic is around £400.
Cheers.

Good choice, you won't regret it.

One thing to note, I'm not sure if Operator comes included with the edu discount version of live, you may have to purchase operator to "unlock" it in live...check the ableton site for that info....

lil chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
quigleybc said:
One thing to note, I'm not sure if Operator comes included with the edu discount version of live, you may have to purchase operator to "unlock" it in live...check the ableton site for that info....

Yeah, operator isn't even with the retail version. Since I've got Live Lite 4 or something, the boxed upgrade to 5.2 and operator serial, is still cheaper than the standard Live 5 package w/o operator from shops, never thought getting a free CD could turn out to be so valuble.

Only thing is, I think you download the Upgrades, I've already installed Live Lite 4 on my PC, but I will be wanting to run the full version on a Macbook, is this possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.