Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Is it just Platinum that's getting updated?

I was originally going to get Logic Audio 6 (Big Box) at Easter (I'm not a pro) but now I'm going to wait to see how GarageBand fares for me.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
We'll have to wait till tomorrow to see whats all released.
But it does look like LP 7 could be released tomorrow.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
they update it every year

looks like it's time to shell out another $160 for the latest upgrade!

i anticipate it's going to have true 32-bit floating point, like cubase sx, and that additionally, perhaps emagic/apple will intro an audio interface (something with analog i/o for the g5's toslink connectors, perhaps; or a firewire box a la the motu 828).

in any event, it should be interesting!

has anyone tried the sound diver beta for osx yet? i've downloaded but not yet booted it up. even though i've got an apple, emagic interfaces and synths with emagic's own profiles in sounddiver 3 (os9), that software seems chronically unable to scan properly for devices. i hope they can get it together for osx and make sd finally be worth something more than an object of scorn!!!

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Re: they update it every year

Originally posted by vixapphire
looks like it's time to shell out another $160 for the latest upgrade!

i anticipate it's going to have true 32-bit floating point, like cubase sx, and that additionally, perhaps emagic/apple will intro an audio interface (something with analog i/o for the g5's toslink connectors, perhaps; or a firewire box a la the motu 828).

in any event, it should be interesting!

has anyone tried the sound diver beta for osx yet? i've downloaded but not yet booted it up. even though i've got an apple, emagic interfaces and synths with emagic's own profiles in sounddiver 3 (os9), that software seems chronically unable to scan properly for devices. i hope they can get it together for osx and make sd finally be worth something more than an object of scorn!!!

I am using SoundDiver beta with my Roland XP-80 and it works brilliantly for editing sounds.

cspace

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
they usually update platinum first, then those updates trickle down to the gold and audio packages over the next few months (more incentive to buy logic platinum).

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'm using the SoundDiver beta with a Karma, MS2000, Nord Lead 3 and Roland SH-32. Problems with the Karma and SH-32, in some instances. Haven't spent a lot of time, yet.

I can't wait to see what is announced. I'm gunning for some serious features. Improved audio editing would be nice, if nothing else.

Dan

sventvkg

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
well if has all the features of Logic plat. 6, plus integration of all the cool Garageband looping features and a new easier to work with GUI that makes Audio Editing at least 80% as intuitive as Pro Tools That will nail the coffin on Digidesign for me!!!....and a lot of other people too...Apple will have a MONSTER hit..

fearless

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Originally posted by sventvkg
well if has all the features of Logic plat. 6, plus integration of all the cool Garageband looping features and a new easier to work with GUI that makes Audio Editing at least 80% as intuitive as Pro Tools That will nail the coffin on Digidesign for me!!!....and a lot of other people too...Apple will have a MONSTER hit..
Well, ProTools is the target as far as FCP users are concerned. The problem with Logic has been that it's principally geared to music recording. Audio post for video projects is a different beast with a different workflow. If Logic can provide a clean workflow for OMF-based mixing, with good control surface support, uncluttered by a bunch of virtual instruments and midi-based stuff, great.

whilemyg4gently

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2004
Providence, RI
Logic Pro 6

I wonder what will happen forthose of us who are already Logic Platinum users. I myself have purchased a number of the optional Emagic plugins, and would love to get the rest at a discounted upgrade rate. I don't know why neither Apple nor Emagic have addressed this issue. I do know I wouldnt mind it at all if for that aformentioned $160 I could own a copy of Space Designer and the Es2, let alone the rest of the assortment. Either way, I just hope they don't forget about the long time users.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
Re: Logic Pro 6

logic 5 and 6 users updates to Pro for 199 USD

Originally posted by whilemyg4gently
I wonder what will happen forthose of us who are already Logic Platinum users. I myself have purchased a number of the optional Emagic plugins, and would love to get the rest at a discounted upgrade rate. I don't know why neither Apple nor Emagic have addressed this issue. I do know I wouldnt mind it at all if for that aformentioned $160 I could own a copy of Space Designer and the Es2, let alone the rest of the assortment. Either way, I just hope they don't forget about the long time users.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by fearless
The problem with Logic has been that it's principally geared to music recording.

Yes, but the problem with FCP is that it's principally geared to video...:rolleyes:
Logic has always been the midi-head's midi sequencer. If they put a little more effort into the audio engine and editing features, it would be even more wonderful and your point above might resonate.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Re: Logic Pro 6

Originally posted by whilemyg4gently

They NEED to have an upgrade path for those who already own some plugins (EXS24-II and EVP-88 in my case). I don't want that 500€ investment become worthless all of a sudden.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
an abstract thought re xs key authorizations

I wonder if the update will cause the xskey to be reconfigured in how it goes about authorizing program components?

think about it: if everything's free, there should be a single auth/key for logic pro. if upon receiving the upgrade there's suddenly revealed blank spaces or timed-demo versions of guitar amp, the drum machine plug, etc., hold onto your wallets b/c it's going to be a nasty ride.

anyone know whether sounddiver will be part of the logic pro juggernaut? methinks yes, but i forgot to ask anyone at the apple booth yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.