Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
random
Hello.

I have an M1 Mac mini and an M1 MBA.

I use an external SSD (Samsung T5 1TB) to store the Library for Logic Pro, I have set it up using the Mac mini to do so.

But what if I want to use that same Library in Logic Pro on the MBA? Logic Pro does not let me relocate the Library there (as there is already one according to Logic Pro), but it does not use the data stored there and shows instruments and sounds not available, unless I download them, which is then stored on the internal SSD.

Is this a bug or a feature?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Hello.

I use an external SSD (Samsung T5 1TB) to store the Library for Logic Pro, I have set it up using the Mac mini to do so.

But what if I want to use that same Library in Logic Pro on the MBA? Logic Pro does not let me relocate the Library there (as there is already one according to Logic Pro), but it does not use the data stored there and shows instruments and sounds not available, unless I download them, which is then stored on the internal SSD.

It sounds like you’ll need to download the Logic Pro Library onto a separate external drive for the M1 MacBook Air. I think could be a feature of sorts, at least for Apple, as it might keep someone with a pirated copy Logic Pro from getting the Library from someone else via one or two thumb drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dockland

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
random
Thanks, didn't think of piracy. Those days are long gone for me since the advent of the "buy once - use for ten years or more if you like and still get updates" policy with FCP and LP and some other applications.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Hello.

True. Feature. I did this today. There is a disclaimer stating that "You can't share a Sound Library between Mac computers. If you have more than one Mac running Logic Pro or MainStage, each Mac needs its own Sound Library."

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
random
True. Feature. I did this today. There is a disclaimer stating that "You can't share a Sound Library between Mac computers. If you have more than one Mac running Logic Pro or MainStage, each Mac needs its own Sound Library."

Well, bloody me not being able to read properly.

Thanks for pointing that out publicly. ;)

I switch to emagic then.

Reactions: Dockland
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.