Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
I've been using Logic since Logic 8.
Done full bands recording 32 inputs at once, mixing down on my SSL with a mix of plugins and hardware.
I still like to use a few 500 series EQs and dynamics for flavor even though I have a ton of UAD, SSL and Eventide plugins.
I mention all this as background so you now I'm (hopefully) not thick headed.

Lately I keep getting the maddening behavior that I cannot cursor to the right, scroll right or shrink the timeline down so I have space on the right.
The composition just takes up the whole space and Logic is adamant that there is nothing to the right that I need to be made aware of or use.
There isn't anything to the right...yet. But like a lot of people working in DAWs. I like to cut and paste stuff, so I'll chop out a section of the song, scroll to the right and paste it. Then edit it to be a little different, or just grab all of it, zoom in, and slide it into time with the existing tracks.
So it is pretty nuts when Logic just stops me from going to the right!

Before anyone says it, yes I have the |<->| deselected.
I should be able to zoom out so that the whole song is bunched up on the left hand side!

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 11.18.13 AM.png

I'm on 10.7.4
Monterey 12.5.1
14" MBP 2021

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
That would drive me crazy. Will setting your Project End to be higher help? Can you two-finger zoom in and out using the trackpad?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Not sure if I understand completely but yeah you can change the "project end". Dragging it is cumbersome so customize the Control Bar and Display to include "Key Signature / Project End" and change it there.

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Project end marker?
I think I found that now.

Strange I've recorded things 15-20 minutes long before and never ran into this.
I've never run into this until just in the last month or so.
Is there some way to make the project end marker not so strict?
I often start my own projects with no clear idea of how long the song is going to be.
Just an idea or a pattern.

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Not sure if I understand completely but yeah you can change the "project end". Dragging it is cumbersome so customize the Control Bar and Display to include "Key Signature / Project End" and change it there.
Haha, that works, but now I have to have all those things turned on because I can think of a use for every single option!

I also figured out I can just hover over the top right corner of the track window until a right bracket appears. Then stretch it from there.
I still fail to see what purpose this imposed limit serves unless one is working to video. Which I am not.
Wish there were a place to just turn it off?
May have to make a new default template with the end of project marker set at 15 minutes or something.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Project end marker?
I think I found that now.

Strange I've recorded things 15-20 minutes long before and never ran into this.
I've never run into this until just in the last month or so.
Is there some way to make the project end marker not so strict?
I often start my own projects with no clear idea of how long the song is going to be.
Just an idea or a pattern.
I haven't found a way to turn it off. The default is 129. I adjust my project end using the LCD, which you can drag up and down. This is my custom LCD setup I use for most projects. If I'm going to be noodling, I set it at the start to about 250 and adjust down later if needed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 3.36.28 PM.png

Here's a little more about this from the guide:

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
I haven't found a way to turn it off. The default is 129. I adjust my project end using the LCD, which you can drag up and down. This is my custom LCD setup I use for most projects. If I'm going to be noodling, I set it at the start to about 250 and adjust down later if needed.

View attachment 2048254

Here's a little more about this from the guide:

Now that IS odd, it looks like my default, at least for the current project is not 129. But 102?

Also, this is what my LCD looks like now.
Thanks a lot guys!
Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 3.49.04 PM.png

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Now that IS odd, it looks like my default, at least for the current project is not 129. But 102?

Also, this is what my LCD looks like now.
Thanks a lot guys!
View attachment 2048295
No, it's 140 under the Cmaj key on the right. When you customized the LCD, the key and project end are one item. The 102 is the playhead position (bars). You can tell what's what by hovering your mouse over the item.

And apparently the default project end is based on the time signature. Your LCD shows 6/4 and /16 below it. If you change it, the default project end automatically changes. I hadn't really noticed that before now.

Last edited:

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
No, it's 140 under the Cmaj key on the right. When you customized the LCD, the key and project end are one item. The 102 is the playhead position (bars). You can tell what's what by hovering your mouse over the item.

And apparently the default project end is based on the time signature. Your LCD shows 6/4 and /16 below it. If you change it, the default project end automatically changes. I hadn't really noticed that before now.
yeah, thats after I fixed it. In the first photo you can see my project faceplanting on 102.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.