Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Just a heads up for any Logic Pro fans...

Sadly, v8 is not compatible with Lion. Launching the application informs in a message box immediately that the version isn't compatible with Mac OS X.

Annoying as Logic Pro 8 and 9 are almost identical applications, aside from a handful of features :roll eyes: Typical Apple.

jaredr

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
oh, but it is

you can use logic pro 8 in osx lion:

1. go to your logic pro application in finder

2. right click and choose 'show package contents"

3. contents -> macOS -> logic pro

should work fine. apple sucks at life.

makeyourmovenow

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Brisbane Australia
Thanks jaredr

jaredr, THANK YOU!!, I just downloaded lion and couldn't believe my eyes when I couldn't open Logic Pro 8. What the hell are APPLE thinking, thats just so counter intuitive to doing the right thing.

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
What Apple is thinking lately from iOS upgrades to everything else is that it's necessary for you to buy new versions of everything to continue what you were doing. Whereas it used to be that upgrading your system was an improvement as long as your hardware and software wasn't terribly old, it almost seems lately that they intentionally cripple things to make you spend more money. Sometimes there are hassles like this workaround that can get the job done. It makes the $30 OS upgrades not seem so cheap after all. I'm not "trolling" either, I'm complaining legitimately as a 30+ year Apple customer rapidly becoming disenfranchised with their behavior.

I'm also fairly grumpy at the moment as half the programs I enjoy using are no longer working in Lion.

MarcusH

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
I'm not a big Apple complainer - and in fact I disagree with many of the "grievances" aired on this site and others.

But there's no getting away from the fact that Apple is just plain arrogant! And that makes me very annoyed.

It's just unacceptable that Macs (and their accessories) are so much cheaper in the US. And again and again, the issue isn't what Mac computers can or cannot do; the problem is what Apple will or won't allow you to do.

Wise-up Apple!

Marcus

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
yikes.

OS updates affect applications often. lion needs logic 9. so it goes...
as good an excuse as any to move forward! eventually, we'll see logic 10, which may require lion, so...you'll be ready.

the world moves forward; every new OS, people complain about their older apps. look at all the complaints about rosetta...

just the way it is, so...deal with it (just suggesting... :D )

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
you can use logic pro 8 in osx lion:

1. go to your logic pro application in finder

2. right click and choose 'show package contents"

3. contents -> macOS -> logic pro

should work fine. apple sucks at life.

Awesome tip, thanks very much! Just tried it and sure enough it works fine. Only snag is that I can't dock the file you have to launch....The best I can do is make an alias and have it on the desktop. Still, better than no Logic Pro at all.

This seems like a very cynical move by Apple....Logic 8 clearly works in Lion. Have to agree with the sentiments of others here......It's all about squeezing more cash out of your customers these days at Cupertino.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Awesome tip, thanks very much! Just tried it and sure enough it works fine. Only snag is that I can't dock the file you have to launch....The best I can do is make an alias and have it on the desktop. Still, better than no Logic Pro at all.

This seems like a very cynical move by Apple....Logic 8 clearly works in Lion. Have to agree with the sentiments of others here......It's all about squeezing more cash out of your customers these days at Cupertino.

You can dock it, but only on the right. I put it between 'Documents' and 'Downloads' and it works, but I am super pissed about Apple disabling this in Lion. There was no warning or anything!

I'm seriously considering taking my Macbook Pro to the Apple Store and showing them this. If I'm nice, they might upgrade me for free.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
What a bitch move on Apple's part. Could they be any more money hungry?

By releasing a new OS version that costs only 30 bucks?

I believe they simply don't care about the older versions. Not to get people to buy new ones, but because Apple has never been about being backwards compatible. They only care about moving forward.

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
By releasing a new OS version that costs only 30 bucks?

I believe they simply don't care about the older versions. Not to get people to buy new ones, but because Apple has never been about being backwards compatible. They only care about moving forward.

That's the illusion. It's only $30. Yet it breaks hundreds of dollars worth of software, or more. Want Front Row, buy a $99 Apple TV. Want to use your $500 Logic Studio package? Well now you have to upgrade for $200. Remember all those olds applications and games that had any PowerPC code in them? Time to replace them

If it's not in the Mac App Store, we don't care about it anymore. Now we get a cut of every bit of software that sells for the Mac.

$30 isn't too cheap when you have to buy a bunch of new software and hardware to keep up with it.

They give iOS away but then it slogs your iDevice and you have to buy a new one since you can't downgrade. Looks like they are heading this way with Macs too, inch my inch.

Anyone who says anything that isn't worship of Apple gets down voted here.

I can't imagine these people that come here and literally down vote every one who doesn't faun and worship over a computer company.

makeyourmovenow

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Brisbane Australia
the right thing.

yikes.

OS updates affect applications often. lion needs logic 9. so it goes...
as good an excuse as any to move forward! eventually, we'll see logic 10, which may require lion, so...you'll be ready.

the world moves forward; every new OS, people complain about their older apps. look at all the complaints about rosetta...

just the way it is, so...deal with it (just suggesting... :D )

I hear ya mate, and it's great that they are a moving fwd kinda company. But the point your missing here is Logic Pro 8 works in Lion, if you go round the backdoor to open it. This means there is no need whatsoever to block it in some strategic process involving forcing people to upgrade. Its a top down when THEY want us too move, rather than a move with integrity, and when I want to, or when I have the cash to be able to afford to!

It just smells bad to me.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
logic 9 works fine in lion..

Besides, Logic 8 isn't 64bit... Being a power hungry app. i would upgrade to Logic 9 no matter what..

motionwind

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Greed/captitalism/stockholder-value destroys yet another great company

What Apple is thinking lately from iOS upgrades to everything else is that it's necessary for you to buy new versions of everything to continue what you were doing. Whereas it used to be that upgrading your system was an improvement as long as your hardware and software wasn't terribly old, it almost seems lately that they intentionally cripple things to make you spend more money. Sometimes there are hassles like this workaround that can get the job done. It makes the $30 OS upgrades not seem so cheap after all. I'm not "trolling" either, I'm complaining legitimately as a 30+ year Apple customer rapidly becoming disenfranchised with their behavior.

I'm also fairly grumpy at the moment as half the programs I enjoy using are no longer working in Lion.

... I completely agree with you Kevenly, I'm also so depressed. I only want to upgrade my video card on my very expensive MAC PRO, and cannot "pick and choose" because Apple doesn't support anything newer (they want you to buy a newer machine, even though my machine is not very old) ... and worse yet, my "buy and try a newer card at your own risk" option (yes, I truly have no other choice) requires the LION O/S, which doesn't support LOGIC PRO 8 (a core Apple product), and so I will have to buy LOGIC PRO 9 only because I wish to upgrade to a better video card for a different software that requires it :-(. In the end I'm not guaranteed that all my PLUG-INS will work with Logic 9 (which I didn't want in the first place) and I have tons of Plug-ins. This could become a huge chain reaction :-( Please cross fingers for me, and THANKS AGAIN APPLE (who I used to trust and love)

motionwind

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks Benwiggy, I just read your reply with great relief! You just don't know how many thousands of hours of work depends on my running Logic Pro! So, I just went all-out and installed Mountain Lion (that I downloaded yesterday), and prayed for the best result :)

Well, just as you said (even with the Moutain version) My very complex Logic 8 setup (well at least my most important devices and drivers) ??seem?? to work!!! I can play back my most complicated arrangements/configurations, and my RME Fireface 800 worked without ANY hesitation (well at least for the duration of about an hour's worth of testing). If there's any problems I'll try to post here again, but so far so good!!! Now I can concentrate on installing my 570 GTX video card, and see if that also works with OSX 10.8.3.

Maybe my panic (after reading so many horror stories) was for nothing? :) I guess time will tell.

Treesoul41

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
Please help me install logic pro8 on macmini OSX 10.8.2

Please can you help me on this related issue. I have just joined the forum and am tearing my hair out with this. I have just bought a new Mac mini
2.5GHz dual core, 4MB RAM, 500GB hard drive with preinstalled OS X 10.8.2.

Unaware of the incompatability issue, I then bought a fully legitimate second hand version of Logic pro 8 for £60 only to find it won't load up.
I have searched forums and find I need to open Logic Studio in applications and show package contents - however can someone tell me how to install the installation disc so that it will actually allow the show package contents script to come up as it doesn't - it comes up with a box saying it won't work with Power PC.

Thank you - I'd be really grateful. My other options are:-
1) buying snow leopard and installing as a partition which I don't know how to do with just one Mac (people report you may need 2 macs)
2)Selling logic pro 8 and buying pro 9 for around £130 (A lot more than I want to spend)
3)Selling logic pro 8 and buying logic pro X for £140 which I believe is slightly too demanding for my mac mini according to the apple running specifications.

Thank you
:confused:Treesoul41

macdillpickle2017

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2017
Please help me install logic pro8 on macmini OSX 10.8.2

Please can you help me on this related issue. I have just joined the forum and am tearing my hair out with this. I have just bought a new Mac mini
2.5GHz dual core, 4MB RAM, 500GB hard drive with preinstalled OS X 10.8.2.

Unaware of the incompatability issue, I then bought a fully legitimate second hand version of Logic pro 8 for £60 only to find it won't load up.
I have searched forums and find I need to open Logic Studio in applications and show package contents - however can someone tell me how to install the installation disc so that it will actually allow the show package contents script to come up as it doesn't - it comes up with a box saying it won't work with Power PC.

Thank you - I'd be really grateful. My other options are:-
1) buying snow leopard and installing as a partition which I don't know how to do with just one Mac (people report you may need 2 macs)
2)Selling logic pro 8 and buying pro 9 for around £130 (A lot more than I want to spend)
3)Selling logic pro 8 and buying logic pro X for £140 which I believe is slightly too demanding for my mac mini according to the apple running specifications.

Thank you
:confused:Treesoul41
I have same issue,did you find a solution?I put the installation disc in and get same messages,and when i go to finder Im not able to see anything to click to see contents.What a frustrating deal!lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.