Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hello there,

Recently I've been trying to get more use out of my 1.25ghz eMac G4 by using Logic Pro 8.0.2 on leopard. However, after realizing I prefer Tiger to Leopard due to the increase in performance on my machine, I decided to reinstall Tiger today. After installing 10.4 and then updating to 10.4.11, I installed logic pro 8.0.2 only to find myself unable to open the application at all on my new installation. The icon bounces in the dock once or twice before disappearing. I've tried reinstalling Logic as well as re-installing tiger. All is still functional on leopard. Any suggestions?

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Does it say it actually supports Tiger? Because I've found that if apps don't, they just fail, saying nothing. Odds are, it requires Leopard to run.

realbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Does it say it actually supports Tiger? Because I've found that if apps don't, they just fail, saying nothing. Odds are, it requires Leopard to run.
I'm pretty certain logic 8 was supported by 10.4.11. I've seen people on this forum with tiger screenshots which show logic 8 working.

You are running the installer - not copying folders? And you have at least Quicktime 7.2 installed?
Yeah, re-running the installers for both, my quicktime version is higher than 7.6, just checked.
[automerge]1588930048[/automerge]
One of the things that does work that I forgot to mention is Logic pro 7 (had the installer on a thumb drive). The application opens up but I don't have one of those usb drives used to authenticate the software.

Last edited:
Reactions: repairedCheese

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, Logic Pro 8 runs as far as I know - and if yoursystem didn't meet the spec, the installer would tell you.

If you can obtain it, 7 is a better fit for your hardware, however Logic Express 8 is on macintoshgarden - you could try that?

realbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Yes, Logic Pro 8 runs as far as I know - and if yoursystem didn't meet the spec, the installer would tell you.

If you can obtain it, 7 is a better fit for your hardware, however Logic Express 8 is on macintoshgarden - you could try that?
Is it possible to still authenticate 7? I’ve read that all the servers that handled the authentication usbs got shut down? I also don’t think a crack exists either.

realbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2020
A couple interesting developments on this subject:

First of all, I tried creating a new tiger install usb using a different source, and upon installing updates, Logic Pro 8 actually opened up (At least, it didn't just immediately close). However, upon opening Logic a box popped up stating that I needed to update my prokit to at least 4.0. The issue with this is that I am unable to find a download of any prokit installer that is higher than version 3.1 but is lower than version 5. I tried installing prokit 5, (which explicitly advertises itself for use on leopard but is able to be installed on tiger), however this broke logic entirely, and now it has gone back to bouncing and then closing. All pro application support updates higher than 5 won't install on my system either. If anyone has a download of the pro application support/prokit 4 installer, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.