Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I have the previous version of Logic Studio, featuring Logic Pro 8. It refuses to install on Lion, giving me the 'PowerPC apps are no longer supported' box.

Logic Pro 8 is a Universal Binary, so does this mean even though there is both PPC and Intel code in the UB build of Logic Pro 8, Lion won't run it because it lacks PPC support?

I'd have to upgrade to the latest version of Logic Studio if I moved to Lion? :/

Thing is, I'm confused about this, because iTunes is still UB (it's the only UB thing listed un System Information, admittedly), but iTunes 10.3.1 runs just fine?

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Seems strange. Maybe it's just the installer that doesn't work without Rosetta. Before you think about upgrading, you may want to check here and/or ask around to see if there are modified installers or something to get the package installed.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
It's not the lack of Rosetta, but rather the complete PPC architecture removed from Lion that's causing the issue, but I can't figure out why Logic Studio is an issue, but iTunes isn't, if they're both UB.

I've drilled down into the installer package contents and it's still refusing to install :S

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It's not the lack of Rosetta, but rather the complete PPC architecture removed from Lion that's causing the issue, but I can't figure out why Logic Studio is an issue, but iTunes isn't, if they're both UB.

I've drilled down into the installer package contents and it's still refusing to install :S

Hmm...I guess if you have a fast enough Mac, maybe try virtualization of OS X Snow Leopard, and use it on that. Although, since it's a processor intensive app, that solution is not ideal.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Just as an update to this topic, I was able to get Logic Pro 8 et al running under Lion DP4 by copying across the .apps and relevant /Library/Application Support folders, but in 11A511, Logic Pro 8 is actually blocked from running!

It brings up a dialogue box I've never seen before, stating 'You cannot run this version of Logic Pro on this version of OS X'. This is clearly an arbitrary limitation, which actually really annoys me, as I now have to buy the 'new' Logic Studio, just to actually do any work on my machine.

I realise I'm an early adopter, and that my whinging might seem a bit petty, but it did work on DP4, so this clearly isn't an architectural limitation, ergo it's an artificial one, which I think is something to complain about.

cflocation

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Seattle
Just run this command from a terminal window.
/Applications/Logic\ Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Pro

It ill run fine that way

Just as an update to this topic, I was able to get Logic Pro 8 et al running under Lion DP4 by copying across the .apps and relevant /Library/Application Support folders, but in 11A511, Logic Pro 8 is actually blocked from running!

It brings up a dialogue box I've never seen before, stating 'You cannot run this version of Logic Pro on this version of OS X'. This is clearly an arbitrary limitation, which actually really annoys me, as I now have to buy the 'new' Logic Studio, just to actually do any work on my machine.

I realise I'm an early adopter, and that my whinging might seem a bit petty, but it did work on DP4, so this clearly isn't an architectural limitation, ergo it's an artificial one, which I think is something to complain about.

jsuiker

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
There is a WONDERFUL workaround from http://www.derek-sanders.net

go check out his page on this, it worked perfectly for me on a fresh install of OS X Lion and subsequent install of Logic Pro 8

http://derek-sanders.net/?p=1267

The long and short of it goes something like this:

cd /
sudo /usr/sbin/installer -pkg /Volumes/Logic\ Studio/Installer/LogicStudio.mpkg -target / -verbose

You will see this at the end of the install:

installer: Installer requests the "Jam Pack Content 1" disc. Multi disc installing is not supported.
installer: Failed to insert requested disc.installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer can’t locate the data it needs to install the software. Check your install media or Internet connection and try again, or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

The only way you’re going to get all the additional audio content discs installed is probably going to be a manual install for each of them. For example, I have the Jam Pack Content 1 disc loaded:

for f in /Volumes/Jam\ Pack\ Content\ 1/Installer/Packages/*.pkg; do sudo /usr/sbin/installer -pkg "$f" -target / -verbose; done

I noticed some things failed — for instance I don’t have GarageBand installed, and then there were a few that said it wasn’t a supported installation method.
The Audio Content discs appear to be capable of installing through the normal GUI methods.

svo92

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
There is a WONDERFUL workaround from http://www.derek-sanders.net

go check out his page on this, it worked perfectly for me on a fresh install of OS X Lion and subsequent install of Logic Pro 8

http://derek-sanders.net/?p=1267

The long and short of it goes something like this:

cd /
sudo /usr/sbin/installer -pkg /Volumes/Logic\ Studio/Installer/LogicStudio.mpkg -target / -verbose

You will see this at the end of the install:

installer: Installer requests the "Jam Pack Content 1" disc. Multi disc installing is not supported.
installer: Failed to insert requested disc.installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer can’t locate the data it needs to install the software. Check your install media or Internet connection and try again, or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

The only way you’re going to get all the additional audio content discs installed is probably going to be a manual install for each of them. For example, I have the Jam Pack Content 1 disc loaded:

for f in /Volumes/Jam\ Pack\ Content\ 1/Installer/Packages/*.pkg; do sudo /usr/sbin/installer -pkg "$f" -target / -verbose; done

I noticed some things failed — for instance I don’t have GarageBand installed, and then there were a few that said it wasn’t a supported installation method.
The Audio Content discs appear to be capable of installing through the normal GUI methods.

Will this work on mountain lion aswell? If so, could anyone please make a noob-friendly description on how to do this? :) I would be VERY thankful.

macdillpickle2017

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2017
lol, ok. I realized I had logic on an external drive, so I'm okay.

Will it work if i use a regular pc to upload logic studio 8 to my external hard drive?Even though 10.7.5 lion is no longer supported,it will still function from the external?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.